We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 6910 kHz USB Region 6 SHARES Hurricane Watch Net Hurricane Harvey  (Read 1560 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Lots of activity on 6700-7000 since the hurricane has come through/is coming through.  6910 kHz USB came alive about an hour ago, several AA "Alpha Alpha" prefix stations working NCSxxx or NTSxxx designator station seems to be net control.  Ham radio like banter at points, including offhand comment "I'm getting too old for this get up and play hurricane thing" by one of the operators.  Discussion of San Antonio area UHF land mobile network performance and "Red Cross Radio" before this, not sure if they're talking about amateur radio, military or regular Part 90 LMR performance there, I know the military has a large UHF network in that area.

I imagine we can expect traffic here to continue

NTS307 working NTS387 at 1519 UTC [still not 100% sure if they're saying NTS or NCS...the callsigns are usually just the last 3 characters which are numeric], checking to make sure that 387's station was not affected by Hurricane Harvey, reference checking a workable "phone frequency" between the two stations.  Reference to a reservoir overflowing at this time at 1520 UTC - control station working a station that I can't hear whatsoever, references to "intercepts" and relaying important parts of traffic from unheard station at 1520 UTC.  "Are you familiar with what's going on in Pearlman, over?" "roger, we'll wait for a second" at 1521 UTC

"Region 6 SHARES Hurricane Watch Net" ID at 1525 UTC, NCS387 requesting check ins 1525 UTC, several alpha alpha AA prefix stations checking in between 1525 UTC and 1527 UTC.  Confirm NCS387 is net control, NCS307 appears to be a standby station, perhaps in another location that can hear stations the primary net control cannot.  That checks with these two stations making sure they had a "workable phone frequency" between them, perhaps another standby radio for the net control stations to talk to each other directly....or if they were simply making sure that they could hear each other on 6910 USB  

I have been listening to the AM music pirate on 6925 kHz AM and switching back to see if there's activity on 6910 from time to time.  Noticed SSB traffic here 1600-1605 UTC but tuned back down and heard nothing...likely net control is just monitoring the frequency vs. actual traffic being passed at this time...we'll see if the net continues to stay active throughout the afternoon

At 1608 UTC, a powerful carrier signal was transmitted on 6910 kHz, possibly a station tuning up, followed by the usual ALE sounding or data link on 6912 kHz that has been showing up quite often today
« Last Edit: August 29, 2017, 1610 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: 6910 kHz USB Region 6 SHARES Hurricane Watch Net Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #1 on: August 31, 2017, 1901 UTC »
They've move a little south over the the years, that hurricane net used to plus or minus 2 khz. of 6915, but they do vary. They normally start setting up the net in mid-April, if you catch their evening check-ins in that period they normally give the frequencies and who is going to operating where and covering what areas in their pre-season shake-down mock ups.

What's always struck me as a bit funny is it's usually the same group of ragchewers you hear on 40 and 80 daily during the rest of the year from those areas doing their bit for the local folks during hurricane season. Good for them!

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: 6910 kHz USB Region 6 SHARES Hurricane Watch Net Hurricane Harvey
« Reply #2 on: August 31, 2017, 1914 UTC »
Seems like the 6765 kHz USB frequency is/was active in relation to Harvey as well.  The "I'm getting too old to play hurricane" comment struck me, these guys are decent enough to know when to not be too serious on the radio.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m