We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Horizontal Loop Antenna Experiments  (Read 2310 times)

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
Horizontal Loop Antenna Experiments
« on: August 22, 2017, 1012 UTC »
Manmade noise levels have increased dramatically at my place in the past six months. It has suddenly become much harder to hear weaker shortwave signals. Even the stronger stations are getting covered in all types of hash from all manner of electrical appliances.

So, I have been looking at ways to reduce the noise problem. I'm currently researching several possible solutions, including trying a different antenna. The HF horizontal loop has been around for many years now, but it's a new antenna for me. I've never had a need to try one.....until now! There is documentation out there praising this antenna's low noise capabilities. So, it's time to find out for myself and get to building an experimental version. The results have been quite pleasing, so far!

In a YouTube video I have prepared, I discuss the reasons for looking at this antenna, its design, and its installation. I also do some on-air comparisons of my rectangular (!) version of the horizontal loop against my three regular double bazooka (coax) dipoles and the Par SWL End-Fed antenna. Oh, and Chris Smolinski gets a mention, too! I hope you find this video of interest. Here's the link:

https://youtu.be/OLq3nBQppqg

73, Rob VK3BVW
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Horizontal Loop Antenna Experiments
« Reply #1 on: August 22, 2017, 1355 UTC »
Congrats on the new antenna!   My sky loop is still the best overall performing antenna I have, or have ever built. Hopefully it will give you many years of lower noise listening.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
Re: Horizontal Loop Antenna Experiments
« Reply #2 on: August 22, 2017, 2243 UTC »
Thanks, Chris. There's still some fiddling (err....I mean "experimenting") to do on this new one. The initial tests have been quite positive, so it looks like I'll be sticking with it and doing some further research. So, thanks for the inspiration from your initial blog post of 2012. Google is a wonderful resource!! Cheers, mate!
Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU