We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Home generated RF interference...  (Read 6644 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Home generated RF interference...
« Reply #15 on: September 17, 2017, 2122 UTC »
'Next time we will cut off your johnson!'

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #16 on: September 18, 2017, 0112 UTC »
LookingGlass: PETA is a pro-animal rights organisation here in the US. They're a little on the extreme side for a lot of people.

Our version of the RSPCA would be the ASPCA.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2020, 1545 UTC »
We just got a new fridge today, a Samsung with... Inverter Technology according to the sticker on the front door, which I did not notice when we ordered it (online, due to the hysteria). I gulped when I saw it, remembering this thread.

So far, I have not noticed any major issues. Fingers crossed.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Davep

• DXing Phenomena
  • Va Beach Va
    • View Profile
« Reply #18 on: May 17, 2020, 1909 UTC »
We got a new washer recently, nice ultra wide band ( all of MW and 1\2 of shortwave) signal from the motor inverter for about 100 ft. Washing during radio hours is forbidden.
Va Beach Virginia
Modified Dx 394 audio Altec Lansing ACS43
Folded dipole

Offline Brian

• Ireland
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #19 on: May 17, 2020, 2028 UTC »
If you putting out this amount of crap as a pirate station, you would soon be shut down but manufacturers get away with it somehow. >:(

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #20 on: May 18, 2020, 1208 UTC »
If you putting out this amount of crap as a pirate station, you would soon be shut down but manufacturers get away with it somehow. >:(

Appliances are exempt from Part 15 regulations per 15.103(d):

§ 15.103 Exempted devices.
The following devices are subject only to the general conditions of operation in §§ 15.5 and 15.29 and are exempt from the specific technical standards and other requirements contained in this part. The operator of the exempted device shall be required to stop operating the device upon a finding by the Commission or its representative that the device is causing harmful interference. Operation shall not resume until the condition causing the harmful interference has been corrected. Although not mandatory, it is strongly recommended that the manufacturer of an exempted device endeavor to have the device meet the specific technical standards in this part.

(a) A digital device utilized exclusively in any transportation vehicle including motor vehicles and aircraft.

(b) A digital device used exclusively as an electronic control or power system utilized by a public utility or in an industrial plant. The term public utility includes equipment only to the extent that it is in a dedicated building or large room owned or leased by the utility and does not extend to equipment installed in a subscriber's facility.

(c) A digital device used exclusively as industrial, commercial, or medical test equipment.

(d) A digital device utilized exclusively in an appliance, e.g., microwave oven, dishwasher, clothes dryer, air conditioner (central or window), etc.

(e) Specialized medical digital devices (generally used at the direction of or under the supervision of a licensed health care practitioner) whether used in a patient's home or a health care facility. Non-specialized medical devices, i.e., devices marketed through retail channels for use by the general public, are not exempted. This exemption also does not apply to digital devices used for record keeping or any purpose not directly connected with medical treatment.

(f) Digital devices that have a power consumption not exceeding 6 nW.

(g) Joystick controllers or similar devices, such as a mouse, used with digital devices but which contain only non-digital circuitry or a simple circuit to convert the signal to the format required (e.g., an integrated circuit for analog to digital conversion) are viewed as passive add-on devices, not themselves directly subject to the technical standards or the equipment authorization requirements.

(h) Digital devices in which both the highest frequency generated and the highest frequency used are less than 1.705 MHz and which do not operate from the AC power lines or contain provisions for operation while connected to the AC power lines. Digital devices that include, or make provision for the use of, battery eliminators, AC adaptors or battery chargers which permit operation while charging or that connect to the AC power lines indirectly, obtaining their power through another device which is connected to the AC power lines, do not fall under this exemption.

(i) Responsible parties should note that equipment containing more than one device is not exempt from the technical standards in this part unless all of the devices in the equipment meet the criteria for exemption. If only one of the included devices qualifies for exemption, the remainder of the equipment must comply with any applicable regulations. If a device performs more than one function and all of those functions do not meet the criteria for exemption, the device does not qualify for inclusion under the exemptions.

https://www.law.cornell.edu/cfr/text/47/15.103
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #21 on: May 18, 2020, 1540 UTC »
We got a new washer recently, nice ultra wide band ( all of MW and 1\2 of shortwave) signal from the motor inverter for about 100 ft. Washing during radio hours is forbidden.

That is one of the reasons I still wash and dry with my old clunkers.  An occasional wideband click beats a never-ending slew of noise from DC to daylight.  I also have a problem with washing clothes in a machine whose innerds look like a ceiling fan motor.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #22 on: May 18, 2020, 1755 UTC »
Also wall street might become upset at having to pay a few pennies more per appliance, and none of us want to see that!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.