We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: *** A big favor to ask ***  (Read 2143 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
*** A big favor to ask ***
« on: September 10, 2017, 1304 UTC »
A have a huge favor to ask.

Please, when logging a station, make your message subject follow this format:
Station-name Frequency Mode Time UTC Day 3-month-abbreviation Year

For example:
UNID 6930 USB 2353 UTC 9 Sep 2017

This greatly helps me at the end of the year, when I create the summary of the year's broadcasts. Otherwise, I have to go back and manually edit message titles.

Please don't use full month names, or numbers with slashes like 8/12/17. Or indicate USB by using 6925u or time as 0123z and so on.  The software I use to parse the message titles is very picky.

Thanks! I appreciate it.
« Last Edit: September 10, 2017, 1631 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: *** A big favor to ask ***
« Reply #1 on: September 10, 2017, 1622 UTC »
I think you mean "Day" not "Fay," correct?  ;D

BTW, I usually use commas because it's hard to take in the individual pieces of info when they run on without them. Will that mess up your software too?
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: September 10, 2017, 1631 UTC »
Thanks for spotting the typo.

If you want to include a comma, put a space before and after it, my software should then ignore it.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline PirateSWL

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: September 10, 2017, 1919 UTC »
I will try and help correct the incorrect posts Chris
Brian D. - PirateSWL
Pirate Radio Shortwave Enthusiast from NY
RX: ICOM 7300 / 40m dipole
Not embarrassed to admit I often use Shazam ; )
eQSL greatly appreciated to PirateSWL@aol.com

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 10, 2017, 1944 UTC »
I am one of the biggest transgressors here, and have started with the beginning of the year to correct the format on my own new thread postings. January is complete....February is complete.....
« Last Edit: September 12, 2017, 0012 UTC by Skipmuck »
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #5 on: September 11, 2017, 0048 UTC »
Can I ask a big favor in return? If a lot of you find it helpful, than never mind. But personally, the fact that the board won't post a new reply to a thread if someone else posted a comment during the time I was writing mine drives me right up the wall. The only time anyone seems to be rushing to post comments is when we're all hearing a pirate with a strong signal, and we're all just posting our own reports. So the need to see what someone else said isn't really there. So, please.... find a way to turn that feature off and publish the comment only on the first click.

I can see it being helpful when people are starting topics, since that might prevent duplicate threads. But not for comments on those threads.

Thank you.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail