We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Battling the RFI Demons, Part XVIII  (Read 1773 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Battling the RFI Demons, Part XVIII
« on: September 21, 2017, 1909 UTC »
Once again, I ran into a problem with QRM caused by an electronic device. Some hunting around with the AFE822x and Macbook (a portable SDR is very handy for hunting down QRM) found the culprit - the monitor of one of the kids' computers. Wrapping as many turns as possible of the monitor AC power cord around a large ferrite core seems to have eliminated the problem. No doubt a misbehaving switching power supply. Below are pictures of the core, as well as the before and after screenshots of the netSDR connected to the sky loop (not the portable AFE822x).

The core is a Fair Rite 5943003801, type 43, 35 mm inner diameter and 61 mm outer diameter. This is my go-to core for solving QRM/RFI issues. The best price I've found is from Mouser, about $4 each: http://www.mouser.com/ProductDetail/Fair-Rite/5943003801

The horizontal lines you see on the after screenshot are lightning from thunderstorms, which were not present on the first waterfall, taking several hours earlier

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Ray Lalleu

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Western part of France
    • View Profile
Re: Battling the RFI Demons, Part XVIII
« Reply #1 on: September 21, 2017, 2033 UTC »
Hello Chris,
Maybe you could do a little better.
The idea is that the 'in' and 'out' of the cable in the ring should be as far away from each other as possible.
I don't remember where I saw the drawing, with such a big ring.
I use that idea with smaller rings, but it's not the same cute design, and a picture would be of no help. Just finding a way to wind the cable in the ring so that the 'in' is never close to the 'out'.

Apart of that, for a mains AC cable, you can use a so-called 'lightning protector' *with an EMI-RFI filter*. Don't care too much of how many dB's are announced, as there are several ways to give a figure. They are useful from 100 kHz to 100 MHz approx. (not quite good at those limits), and the best filtering is around 10 MHz quite approximately. Once more, the 'out' should not run back near the 'in'.

Ray
D/E/F/G/It/Sp : Dutch/English/French/German/Italian/Spanish
+/- : about 0.02 offset, ++/-- 0.03/0.04 offset
Balanced wire antennas, wire lines and ATU
*** Mes pages ex-OEM : semaines des OC, radios-médias, techniques de réception, en français, demandez  les ! ***

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
Re: Battling the RFI Demons, Part XVIII
« Reply #2 on: September 21, 2017, 2237 UTC »
I know where you where coming from Chris, recently purchased a new Samsung Digital Inverter Technology refridgerator and it causes a massive 10dB over interference just about all over HF with spurs 8KHz a part.

Samsung was contacted and are sending a technician in coming days, was told by them that "it complies with Australian standards".

Also experienced hash type RF which was tracked to a wall mounted touch screen control panel for the ducted gas heating in the house, resolved this by climbing under the house and disconnecting it.

RF troubles never end... 8)

Full details/story found General Radio Discussion page.
« Last Edit: September 21, 2017, 2239 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.