We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Chicago Blogger Reveals Daily Contents Of Police Communications  (Read 1783 times)

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
see the front page of Shortwave America: http://www.shortwaveamerica.blogspot.com

This fake crime blotter was crated back in November of 2008, and the blog owner has been openly posting the addresses of police responses, the type of crime being responded to, police report numbers, responding unit numbers, etc. How does a person openly publish the contents of police radio communications without being detected?

cmradio

Re: Chicago Blogger Reveals Daily Contents Of Police Communications
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2010, 0703 UTC »
Sounds like a useful service to me.

Peace!

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: October 06, 2010, 0738 UTC »
The whole point is that any of us would get nailed big time for violations of the Communications Act regardless of our good intent. That standard needs to be applied to everyone across the board.

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 06, 2010, 1054 UTC »
"How does a person openly publish the contents of police radio communications without being detected?"

Well, let's see ... you're not using your real name to post, I'm not using my real name to post, and the internet is full of tools to avoid detection....

Besides that, I'd say because he/she hasn't pissed anyone off sufficiently to get the goobermint involved in getting warrants from the ISP, etc....
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Fansome

« Reply #4 on: October 06, 2010, 1538 UTC »
If you are a scanner enthusiast, this is bad news, and stupid behavior. There are already encrypted police systems in the bigger cities; if this keeps up, then all systems that are interesting to listen to will end up encrypted, and you will eventually find your scanner only useful as a paperweight.

Offline L Cee

• East Coast - USA
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 07, 2010, 0106 UTC »
In a semi-related subject. With more laws being passed banning hand held cell phone use in vehicles, I wonder when there will be an outcry to include the banning of mobile ham radio ?  Of course, except for "texting while driving", I don't see much difference in hand held use and hands free use. The claim is that it's the distraction of the conversation that is the cause of unsafe driving.
L Cee
East Coast - USA

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns