We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "Pirates Beware. Chairman Pai Is Coming For You"  (Read 3294 times)

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
"Pirates Beware. Chairman Pai Is Coming For You"
« on: September 14, 2017, 0158 UTC »
"Pirates Beware. Chairman Pai Is Coming For You"

The FCC Chairman Pai updated the radio industry on his progress to shut down pirate radio operators, at the NAB conference. He says, thanks in part to the vocal support of Commissioner O’Rielly, the FCC has substantially stepped up its enforcement efforts against pirate radio stations. And here are the numbers…

Since Pai became Chairman in January, the Commission’s Enforcement Bureau has issued 55 Notices of Unlicensed Operation, several Notices of Apparent Liability, and six Forfeiture Orders against pirate broadcasters. Pai says this FCC has cracked down on illegal operators all across the United States, from California to Kentucky, and up and down the East Coast from Florida to Massachusetts. “You can rest assured we will not just continue, but intensify this effort in the months to come. Our message to pirate operators is clear: the FCC will not tolerate unauthorized, illegal broadcasts, and we will use all of the tools within our disposal to end them.”

from https://radioink.com/2017/09/06/pirates-beware-pai-coming/#comment-17838

Editorial comment:
Pai isn't coming.  He's not even breathing heavy
He is, however, a tool....

I do urge my compatriots to exercise due diligence... especially those within 100 miles of the field offices that remain open. 
Don't feed the Pai!

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: "Pirates Beware. Chairman Pai Is Coming For You"
« Reply #1 on: September 14, 2017, 1534 UTC »
But RFI from "smart" washing machines that wipes out entire neighborhoods' HF reception from 3-10 MHz -- that's OK.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Fred Smith

• Far NE MD in the Wedge
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: September 14, 2017, 1619 UTC »
Good Point!
FT-920, SDR Play and others. 80 meter doublet/openwire feed, 80/10 OCFD, 400 BOG  NE/SW unterminated

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: September 14, 2017, 1707 UTC »
just thought id chime in to comment that this appears to be targeted only at FM pirates at this point since the conglomerate media companies that own multiple legitimate FM stations have the cash to burn and fund the operations of the FCC in order to shut down the "threatening" FM pirate competition which the legitimate stations claim threatens their "bottom line" profits of the stock holders and company.
now if shortwave was made up of several stations owned by a corporate conglomerate media company with stock holders, then i could see this happening to shortwave too.
the lists of orders tells the story itself http://transition.fcc.gov/eb/Orders/
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2017, 1819 UTC »
To be fair, a pirate FM station in Boston (this one: http://bigcityfm.com/) has been a problem for a small, locally owned AM station (this one: http://www.wjib.org/) that was recently granted an FM translator license. Bob Bittner (owner of WJIB) is that farthest thing from a radio conglomerate and I'm pretty sure he makes almost no money, he runs his station (legally) because he loves radio. These are exactly the type of stations that pirates are wise to avoid causing interference to because it undermines the entire "radio conglomerates are evil" justification for pirating.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: September 16, 2017, 2048 UTC »
It should be pointed out as well that there is a big difference between pirate 'A' that pops up for a few hours on the weekends, and pirate 'B' that is on 24/7 and selling advertising.  Although just because a station is not running 24/7 or selling advertising you don't have the right to use any frequency you choose.  I am for responsible piracy (is there really such a thing?).  Do your research, find a clear frequency, and have fun, but understand there are risks.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2017, 0324 UTC »
It should be pointed out as well that there is a big difference between pirate 'A' that pops up for a few hours on the weekends, and pirate 'B' that is on 24/7 and selling advertising.  Although just because a station is not running 24/7 or selling advertising you don't have the right to use any frequency you choose.  I am for responsible piracy (is there really such a thing?).  Do your research, find a clear frequency, and have fun, but understand there are risks.

+-RH

This. Exactly. (Well stated).

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2017, 1254 UTC »
I wish my last name was Pai. You could name your kids things like Apple, Blackberry, and Lemon. "Meadowlark Lemon Pai", now there's a name anyone would be proud of!