We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 4724 USB and others Andrews AFB Radio Testing + Message 14 Sept 2017 1357 UTC  (Read 4577 times)

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
HF-GCS High Frequency Global Communications System SIMULCAST on following frequencies:

checked all frequencies during alphanumeric message and original radio check

4724 kHz USB - SIO 333
6739 kHz USB - SIO 344
8992 kHz USB - SIO 444
11175 kHz USB - SIO 444
13200 kHz USB - SIO 555
15016 kHz USB - SIO 555

1357 UTC to 1359 UTC approx. (radio check)
1400 UTC to 1403 UTC approx. (one time pad encrypted message from callsign Bluegill for "Maid" or possibly "Main")

Andrews Air Force Base / Andrews AFB is the primary control station for the USAF

FOR xxxx, FOR xxxx, NKKPHQ STANDBY NKKPHQ STANDBY NKKPHQ STANDBY MESSAGE FOLLOWS
NKKPHQWBWV2NNK2EMYU4MIXBIJA6BM (repeated) THIS IS BLUEGILL, OUT (1403 UTC)
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
The USAF HF-GCS system has been quite busy lately.  Lots of one time pad alphanumeric messages being sent.  I haven't heard SKYKING in a little while though.  Lots of obviously randomly-assigned callsigns for the station giving the broadcast.  Several simulcasts heard on 6712 kHz USB and 6739 kHz USB in addition to the other usual frequencies.

U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
The USAF HF-GCS system has been quite busy lately.  Lots of one time pad alphanumeric messages being sent.  I haven't heard SKYKING in a little while though.  Lots of obviously randomly-assigned callsigns for the station giving the broadcast.

I don't really listen to the HF-GCS, I find it pretty boring most of the time.  However, I do record it 24/7 just in case something good happens, I can always go back and look at the recordings to capture good stuff.  Your comments made me run a few recordings to see what was going on about the time you posted.

You posted this on 15 Nov, 2018.  I assume your statement of "USAF HF-GCS system has been quite busy lately" was caused by the exercise that was on-going the week previous.  The 4th to the 9th of Nov was a very busy period for HF-GCS traffic.

As for SKYKINGS, there is seldom more than 2 or 3 days between them, and often many per day.  It looks like in the period just before you posted this (and back to the beginning of the month) there was at least one SKYKING (and on several days multiples) on the 2nd, 5th, 6th, 9th, 12th, 15th, and so far 2 today (the 17th).

T!
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Be sure to check the Russian mil air freqs too during a USAF exercise, the USAF seems to trigger a response quite often. Hopefully you speak Russian and copy cw as they employ both.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline sat_dxer

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
4724kHz USB 1430z to 1432z 15 Feb 2019 "This is neck-drain" w/numbers
« Last Edit: February 15, 2019, 1436 UTC by sat_dxer »
Most times & frequencies posted are only an approximation.