We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: The Squid - Universal Matching Transformer for Beverage / Random wire Antennas  (Read 4559 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
This is what I've used for a while with my beverage antenna, with great results. I've had others ask about buying one, so now here it is!

Full details and ordering information here: http://blackcatsystems.com/rf-products/matching-transformer-unun-balun-beverage-longwire-k9ay-flag-ewe-dipole-antenna-shortwave-ham-radio.html

The big advantage over a regular matching transformer that only handles one impedance is this one has a tapped transformer. So it can match a wide range of antennas. And you don't even need to know your antenna's impedance, try the combinations and pick the best one. And if your antenna changes, you don't need a new transformer, just change the pair of wires you use. Easy!

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
You're the Squidmeister?!? Cool. Clever idea. One Impedance Transformer to Rule Them All.  :o
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Al is skeert of it. He's afraid it might get his last hair.

Fansome

Fore-warned is four-armed.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
It looks like this one has six arms, Al. What's your plan now?

Fansome

Squid-lover.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Squid-lover.

Nah, manatee. The neighbor's wife came home from vacation Friday, saw the howling monstrosity in their pool and shot it. There was a neighborhood manatee roast this afternoon that is still going on.

There's a helluva lot of meat on a manatee and the oil from the blubber can drive the diesel generators of the neighbors for months. All in all, a good time was had by all.

bandarr3000

Thanks to a fast delivery from Black Cat Systems I'm using my Squid to tune my skyloop antenna just in time for pirate listening on long winter nights!  The wide variety of impedance options allows me to get the strongest signal for the frequencies I'm interested in. The Squid's heavy-duty construction is great for experimenting, since I don't have to worry about "wearing out" the connectors like I do with other transformers I've purchased in the past.  This is a great product and well worth the money.