We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Some Southern California TV viewers alarmed by apocalyptic emergency alert  (Read 1590 times)

Fansome

Some Southern California TV viewers alarmed by apocalyptic emergency alert
Associated Press

Some television viewers in Southern California were startled when an apocalyptic emergency alert flashed on their screens Thursday.

The Orange County Register reported that a Lake Forest woman said she was watching HGTV on her Cox Communications cable service when the alert flashed across the screen. Video shows the message included the voice of a man warning that “in the last days extremely violent time will come.” The newspaper said Spectrum cable customers also got the message.

A Cox spokesman told the newspaper that viewers should have seen a typical emergency-broadcast test but a technical malfunction caused it to go on longer than it should have. He said the broadcast picked up an audio feed that bled into the alert.

The cable companies said they're investigating.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Brother Stair started a TV service?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
According to the conspiracy types your home planet, Nibiru, arrives tomorrow, Al. Will you be leaving with your fellow Catfish Men, or are they going to stay to help you repair Shady Acres?

Do you want your women back or not? I've ordered two sets of funny underwear from Salt Lake City. One for my conversion to the LDS, and the other a formal pair for my walk down the aisle when I make honest women of the girls.

Another one of your ex-women has been calling and sending pics, but until she gets a hair color that exists in nature and drops a few stone, I'm not interested, even if she was front woman for a marginally known all girl band way back when. And then only if she gets her vocal chords removed. I'm not having her tormenting the cats.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Oh Nibaru, you little oddball.

I'd be concerned about this if Mercury was in retrograde.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Max Headroom again!
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Some prophecy extremists also thought that perhaps the "rapture" might occur this month some time, due to the sun rising in Virgo or something like that.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).