We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: GPS discipline a cheap Ebay DDS module  (Read 1623 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
GPS discipline a cheap Ebay DDS module
« on: September 23, 2017, 2107 UTC »
A neat idea I came across today.  Instead of disciplining the reference oscillator, just measure its drift and update the DDS frequency!  Generate any frequency from 10Hz-30MHz with precision of better than 1 Hz.

Uses (mostly) off the shelf hardware.  You do have to build a divide by 32 prescaler for the DDS clock.

PDF http://www.knology.net/~gmarcus/VFO/GPS_Sig_Gen_v1_1.pdf

Arduino code http://www.knology.net/~gmarcus/VFO/AD9850_gps_vfo_v1.ino

+-RH
« Last Edit: September 23, 2017, 2133 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: GPS discipline a cheap Ebay DDS module
« Reply #1 on: September 23, 2017, 2131 UTC »
Interesting, thanks for sharing. I just (and mean just, it arrived today) got an Arduino to play with. So far I've read a membrane keypad and sent text to an LCD display. I've got a rotary encoder on the way, I understand knobs are retro and in fashion again.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree