We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: "Preacher Teacher" Alert  (Read 12133 times)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: "Preacher Teacher" Alert
« Reply #30 on: November 12, 2017, 1755 UTC »
Couple of years ago, I was tuning around SW and finding Brother Stair & not much else on at the time. Switched to MW and tuned around the band. Got to the 1500's (something that was not 1500, 1530, 1570) and there he was. First time I heard him on MW and at first I wanted to believe it was bizarre mixing from SW, but I knew it wasn't. The station ID'd and I checked their sked and sure enough, there he was. Went back and found him on SW and it was the same program, just a few seconds off.

I do not like what he says and I don't listen to him. I listen to WRMI on 9395 kHz a lot for the music, but at 1900 US/Eastern, I switch to 9455 kHz or go somewhere else. I don't check back on 9395 until after 2000 US/Eastern.  (I use US/Eastern as his sked is aligned with DST in the US, and WRMI is in US/Eastern. Otherwise 2300 UTC during the US DST and 0000 UTC during US standard time).

And as BoomBoxDX said earlier, he is helping to pay the bills of the SW stations.

With the numerous stations he's on at the same time, can use those for helping to show the propagation conditions. With an SDR, don't need to constantly listen to him, just enough to ID the station, then hit mute and watch the waterfall for conditions.

Minneapolis, MN

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #31 on: November 12, 2017, 1827 UTC »
I hear him on 1510 kHz. at times. I want to say the station is in N. KY. but I'm not 100% sure. I do hear University of Louisville games in that area sometimes.

Those snake handling preachers and their followers refuse medical treatment, they rely on faith. There's always been a suspicion in the region where those churches are the thickest, that knot of the Cumberlands and Appalachians where KY./VA./WV./N.C./ and TN. come together that some churches "milk" the snakes before services? They used to say that about the strychnine water before it was subjected to lab tests and proven to be the genuine article and generally strong enough to do some damage. There's speculation that the followers don't feel the effects due to years of building up a tolerance to the stuff.

They've been around here since the sect was founded. Most are just everyday Pentecostals with a twist. They don't want to be bothered or made a spectacle of and we tend to respect that. What they do among themselves  is their own business.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #32 on: November 12, 2017, 2015 UTC »
Git yew sum snake hanlin religy!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #33 on: November 17, 2017, 1517 UTC »
The latest Glenn H broadcast says that Bro. Stair has not booked any shortwave time for 2018...  we shall see...  perhaps to 'scare' his listeners to send more money???

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #34 on: November 17, 2017, 1609 UTC »
The latest Glenn H broadcast says that Bro. Stair has not booked any shortwave time for 2018...  we shall see...  perhaps to 'scare' his listeners to send more money???

I've seen people in shortwave groups on Facebook report that he's said as much on his most recent broadcasts. I think he should have pulled the ol' Oral Roberts "God's gonna call me home" maneuver, but perhaps most of his audience is old enough to remember that scam.

I'm tempted to think his most recent legal troubles are behind this pitch, but it is a fact that his booked airtime at WRMI was already slashed earlier this year, around the time a17 took effect. So maybe he really is running low on cash.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #35 on: November 17, 2017, 1947 UTC »

I've seen people in shortwave groups on Facebook report that he's said as much on his most recent broadcasts. I think he should have pulled the ol' Oral Roberts "God's gonna call me home" maneuver, but perhaps most of his audience is old enough to remember that scam.

I'm tempted to think his most recent legal troubles are behind this pitch, but it is a fact that his booked airtime at WRMI was already slashed earlier this year, around the time a17 took effect. So maybe he really is running low on cash.

Yeah, but Oral claimed to be able to raise the dead and sent that 900 ft. Jesuszilla stomping through Tulsa in broad daylight to set his plays up. I'm still perplexed how the only person to see that giant Jesus was Oral? Tulsa is a decent sized city, surely someone else would have seen it?

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
  • Condobolin, NSW, Australia
  • "Old fashioned DXer, no offshore computer rxing!"
    • View Profile
« Reply #36 on: November 18, 2017, 2131 UTC »
Oral Roberts, another blast from the past, is good old Oral still alive? 

Jimmy Swaggart still going strong and must be in his 80's. 

Tuned into SBN yesterday and they were giving a tour of the Ministry at Baton Rouge, the radio studio was very high tech and said they broadcast on around 70 stations AM and FM across the USA from their "Broadcast Centre" in Baton Rouge through Sonlife Broadcasting Network.

They went on to promote SBN via satellite on TV around the world, more high tech equipment and well appointed TV studio.

Rivers of gold running through SBN, and always a request for donations as "SBN is operated entirely from donations" was the quote.  Jimmy's son Donnie Swaggart has the gift of a used car salesman from California, always plugging some JSM products and the catch phrase "we need you to get to the phones now..."

Sorry Donnie, I am too lazy to get to the phone old buddy... 8)
Condobolin, NSW.

Grid Square:  QF37ub

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #37 on: November 19, 2017, 0029 UTC »
The only SW preacher I actually listened to was Gene Scott -- that is, when he wasn't yelling at his congregation to send more money.

Some of his religious commentaries were fairly interesting: it was obvious that he was an educated man.

As for Brother Stair, I find it curious when some preachers declare themselves "THE" End Time prophet. There was another guy I heard on the AM band in the 1990's, a different guy, who was claiming the same exact thing: that he was "THE" End Time prophet.

I always thought it would be cool to put both of them in a small room, ask them "which one of you is THE end time prophet", and see what happens.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #38 on: November 19, 2017, 1837 UTC »
Profits rather than prophets.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #39 on: November 23, 2017, 1926 UTC »
Poor old Bro. Stair... some folks think he is an idiot but we must remember the person(s) that is paying the bills..  it sure isn't bro. Stair...  End Time??? The Bible says that no one will know when that time will come so I guess claiming to be 'the end time' anything must be a lie... IMHO

But I digress...

So what if the commercial US Shortwave stations will take a hit?  It's up to them to sell themselves... It's called promotion and anyone in the media has to deal with it.  I know a few folks that work at US stations and if I were boss I'd let them go on the air (if I could keep them sober and/or off the weed for an hour or two)...  Do a PBS gig...  beg for money from the listeners...  and I mean really beg.  If that doesn't work... close up shop and get a new hobby, may I suggest stamp collecting ???

As for off the wall hate types, no one can hold a candle to the original WINB at Redlion Tenn.  They called themselves "America's Friendly Voice'...  others called them something else...

And then there is a 'church' based in Italy that has 3 or 4 of their branch churches in that same Country that claim to have Jesus' foreskin...  Man Oh man that must be some large foreskin...  But no comment from the man with the funny hat.  Think about it... holy foreskin!  sick don't you think?  But people still give them money...  :-X

I doubt like hell that Bro. Stair is making a lot of money at all on the shortwave stations, he might be making 50% of what he paid out for broadcast time but that's it.  The shortwave stations are sort of 'a badge of honor' to his cult followers...  Why? Well shortwave is world wide don't you know...  With propagation of late I suspect it is a little less than 'worldwide' and who the hell would listen to him in the first place?  Dead air is more entertaining...

put this down as rant # something something something or other

<heh>

73 Vince
KA1IIC

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #40 on: November 25, 2017, 2156 UTC »
What ever happened to Billy Graham, another preacher/evangelist who could really pull a crowd and work the floor?

Maybe good old Billy passed on to that Ministry/pulpit in the sky? ;)

Billy was big on radio and TV here in Australia many years back.  Over the years we have had some big time preachers on the radio...

Brother Stair
Benny Hinn
Oral Roberts
Billy Graham
Jimmy & Tammy-Faye Baker
Gene Scott
Jimmy Swaggart & Family

All of the above have done well from the gullible who have helped pave the Rivers Of Gold for that lot listed above...

I missed my calling... 8)
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 2303 UTC by Looking-Glass »
Condobolin, NSW.

Yaesu FT-1000D, Yaesu FT-2000D, ICOM IC-736 HF/50MHz, ICOM IC R75 & Tecsun S-2000 to 450 feet of wire, 27MHz 1/2 wave CB antenna converted to 21MHz & a multi band vertical of dubious reliability.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #41 on: December 08, 2017, 1801 UTC »
Oral (sex) roberts...

yeah right... they are all scam artist and nothing more... anyone that thinks other wise is an idiot...
73 Vince
KA1IIC

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #42 on: December 10, 2017, 0659 UTC »
Be sure to get one of the new "Brother Stair: I'll See You In HELL!" pennants!

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Looking-Glass

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
« Reply #43 on: December 19, 2017, 0650 UTC »
I heard somewhere this week that Brother Stair was arrested in his Overcomer Ministry compound this week in relation to sexual abuse chargers against some of his women followers? 8)
Condobolin, NSW.

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #44 on: December 19, 2017, 1622 UTC »
I heard somewhere this week that Brother Stair was arrested in his Overcomer Ministry compound this week in relation to sexual abuse chargers against some of his women followers? 8)

Yep.