We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: T-368  (Read 5801 times)

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
T-368
« on: October 08, 2017, 0313 UTC »
I received a call tonight from a radio hobbyist who had recently been at a hamfest in NJ. There, he saw someone who had a T-368 transmitter that had recently been restored at the Tobyhanna Army Depot & had its audio opened up to 6 kHz. He said that it has spares, which I assume means a full extra set of tubes? My friend said that he'd tell others about it, so he told me & ask if I knew anyone interested. Because of the price and the weight, I don't. But I asked it was OK if I post it here.

This T-368 was made by B&W (I don't which version it is) & I believe it's capable of about 500 watts carrier from 1500 kHz to 20 MHz. They're huge beasts & about the closest that the Americans have to the German Rohde & Schwartz transmitters that the Dutch pirates use.

Anyway, the asking price on this transmitter is $2,000. I don't know if that's negotiable. I assume part of the price is because it was refurbed by the Army. My friend said he'd send the contact info of the guy who's selling it, so if you're interested, I can pass it along.

Neither I nor my contact have any actual connections to the sale of this equipment, but they *are* really cool pieces of equipment that I hear about more often than I see.
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: T-368
« Reply #1 on: October 08, 2017, 0737 UTC »
I believe the T-368 was a 400-watt carrier. Must weigh somewhere around 1 pound per watt or more, lol.

Fair Radio Sales was pushing these in the '80s... It was purportedly used by a lot of rebel-type stations in Central and/or South America.

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline didu heardat

• View Profile
« Last Edit: October 08, 2017, 1447 UTC by didu heardat »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 08, 2017, 1624 UTC »
I believe the T-368 was a 400-watt carrier. Must weigh somewhere around 1 pound per watt or more, lol.

Fair Radio Sales was pushing these in the '80s... It was purportedly used by a lot of rebel-type stations in Central and/or South America.

LOL. I just logged into say I once saw one at Fair Radio. It was about the size of the larger old fashioned "Coca-Cola" cooler machine stood on it's end and looked like it probably weighed as much as one of those 40's era machines stocked full.  You know who would have liked it, it had big knobs.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 08, 2017, 1850 UTC »
Lol bigger than a bc610!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: October 10, 2017, 1820 UTC »
Yup and something of that power now could fit in a Pelican case...a big one, but still.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 10, 2017, 1842 UTC »
Download (Service-) Manual(s) @ https://www.mediafire.com/folder/8fqaqq1fnymlv/%23_-_MILITAIRY

Also R&S / Telefunken

André
CoolAM Radio - ShortWave
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!
::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::::

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 12, 2017, 1310 UTC »
Yeah, according to one of the links from Didu Heardat (thanks!), it's 400 W carrier and 650 lbs.! A GRC-26 in a remote area or on wheels behind a large pickup would be interesting

. . . or maybe a bit more than a large pickup:
« Last Edit: October 12, 2017, 1315 UTC by Andrew Yoder »
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline syfr

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: June 29, 2018, 0153 UTC »
Great rigs!!!
Kiwsdr x 2. TenTec Paragon/NRD535

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: June 29, 2018, 2148 UTC »
Andy, I've got the 1942 ARRL Hanbook for military radiomen that your truck illustration comes from. The manual has step by step instructions on building one of the monsters, starting with an oscillator/exciter cw rig, moving to a 50 watt AM voice module and then the big boy itself, including how to metal work.

1942 was the beginning of the end of an era when most hams built their own transmitters. Large numbers of manufactured T-368 for the war were still a few months away at that time it was published. They had to have something to tide them over until the factory made transmitters were at full production

Offline CoolAM Radio

• Netherlands
  • CoolAM Radio... So Cool... that it's Hot!
    • View Profile
    • CoolAM Radio - ShortWave 6735
    • Email
« Reply #10 on: July 31, 2018, 0935 UTC »
(US-Military Radio Transmitters)
T-368-URT # T-368A-URT # T-368B-URT # T-368C-URT (+ AntennaTuningUnit-BC939B) MAINTENANCE SERVICE MANUAL 1958

Check out OnLine-/ or Download
@
https://drive.google.com/file/d/1MdWtC1uPaZfzjq6TPblZvAEdVIfQktmr/

André
CoolAM Radio - ShortWave
the Netherlands
Make your dream a reality...
                Then go to sleep...
                        Have another dream and do it again!

Sweet dreams!!!

http://jingleproductions.coolam.nl
   Transmitters Do It On Air!!!