We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Really good propagation lately  (Read 1420 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Really good propagation lately
« on: October 09, 2017, 2220 UTC »
At the risk of jinxing things... the bands have been excellent lately. Besides the great DGPS decodes, I've been hearing lots of nice SWBC. Asia was particularly strong this morning.  Folks might want to tune around and see what they can hear.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Really good propagation lately
« Reply #1 on: October 10, 2017, 0038 UTC »
MW has been quiet and wide open here the past 3-4 nights. I hope all the rain doesn't change the effective ground and futz things up.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: October 10, 2017, 1625 UTC »
I know things are good when I can get stuff from outside North America on my portable with just its whip or at most a simple plug-in wire antenna. Currently enjoying Vatican Radio's news on 15595 (it's really a good newscast, even if it's only 15 minutes, 16:15-16:30 - and Chris will likely want to know that they QSL - I just got three cards and two stickers from them last week for a report sent in late August).

The other night I positively heard Radio Rebelde on MW at 530 kHz, and it was better than the 60m transmission at 5025. (I have some terrible hash that covers a large part of my block that affects all but the strongest of 60m signals, so it may not be a completely accurate comparison. I'll have to take my portable out some evening, get out of the noise, and see what it sounds like in a relatively RFI-even environment.)

Anyway, Chris may be jinxing things anyway.  ;) SWPC is predicting a geomagnetic storm tomorrow. So get in your DXing while you can.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 10, 2017, 1718 UTC »
I had Voice of Korea (NK) this morning in French on 11710 at 1156z with an amazing SIO 555, yes 555, for several minutes. Faded down to 444 and then eventually 333, but still excellent for NK. Hoping I can get similar propagation a bit earlier in the morning when they are in EE.

Yes, the solar wind is going to ruin everything tomorrow.  >:(
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline fkradio

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: October 11, 2017, 1703 UTC »
At the risk of jinxing things... the bands have been excellent lately. Besides the great DGPS decodes, I've been hearing lots of nice SWBC. Asia was particularly strong this morning.  Folks might want to tune around and see what they can hear.

Chris, here in the southern part of the Northeast US, the higher bands seem to be much better then usual as of late

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns