We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Getting SWBC Station QSLs  (Read 5171 times)

Offline fkradio

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Getting SWBC Station QSLs
« Reply #15 on: October 11, 2017, 1712 UTC »
While I'm an avid collector of pirate QSLs and eQSLs, I have not written for any QSLs from SWBC stations in ages, probably 20 years? I used to do this when I first started SWLing back in the late 70s, but slowly stopped. I'm considering getting back into that part of the hobby again. Before they all disappear.

What's the current protocols for getting QSLs? Do SWBC stations still send them, or have they switched to eQSLs? Do you still send a letter or can you email reports? I assume for the smaller (private, not government run stations) you still send a letter so you can include return postage. IRCs are gone now IIRC, so do you send a dollar or two?

Chris, Now a days, including audio clips is a must.  NO attachments to email, soundcloud/google drive/vimeo/youtube links work great.   I have found this to be a MAJOR help with broadcasters who may broadcast in a language I don't understand. (I cant stress the no attachments enough... slow internet or over agressive spam filters could screw you)

If listening to a foreign language station thats broadcasting music, download Shazam on your phone.. it is GREAT at identifying foreign music.  Include a few song titles.  I've sent voice of turkey reports with song titles in them.

Some stations, for whatever reason, dont respond to email too well. Usually those in 3rd world nations.   

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #16 on: October 11, 2017, 1749 UTC »
KBS, VOT and RRI are the easiest. Ive had every single VOT report I've ever sent verfied by turkey.   Sent in so many reports over 2 months, they had to send me 2 cards, the first one ran out of room!!

Yep, I've already sent reports to all three. I know RRI got my report - they read it on the air earlier this week  ;D
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #17 on: October 13, 2017, 2154 UTC »
fkradio: Thanks for the tip on no attachments. I always send attachments to pirates & wouldn't've thought not to include one to an SWBC station

Just a general comment: Aside from my first two or so years of SWLing, I've avoided writing reports to major stations & instead went after pirates & occasionally smaller & private SWBC stations. One year in the early 2000s, I think, I sent something like 40 reports to stations in Peru, Bolivia, & Venezuela. I think my success rate was about 5% or so. Now, most of the government stations are gone, so I guess I should've written to them instead!  :P
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V