We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Any theories on Havana Mystery Sound that causes damage?  (Read 3087 times)

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
Any theories on Havana Mystery Sound that causes damage?
« on: October 12, 2017, 2351 UTC »
So I figure the mystery sound that hurts diplomats in Havana could have a cause that is radio related.  If anything, its wave related. Does anybody have a theory what would produce audible sound to people inside their homes?

https://apnews.com/88bb914f8b284088bce48e54f6736d84
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline Fred Smith

• Far NE MD in the Wedge
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Any theories on Havana Mystery Sound that causes damage?
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2017, 0053 UTC »
Just Google up sonic weapons they've been around a long time. I suspect some of the injuries are psychosomatic. We are dealing with the government here, they love drama.
FT-920, SDR Play and others. 80 meter doublet/openwire feed, 80/10 OCFD, 400 BOG  NE/SW unterminated

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2017, 2108 UTC »
George Noory played it as part of his show intro last night. My hearing is so gone from years of shooting and wearing headphones, I couldn't hear it. In the snippet posted it sounds like insects, which are plentiful and loud in the tropics.

If the govt. needs a sonic weapons immune "Man In Havana" I'm their guy. I'll need a cigar allowance and heavy duty air conditioners with generator backup. A pallet and refrigerator box for my assistant Mr. A.F. will also be required. If it's crickets I know a guy in Texas, code named "Shackleford", who can deal with them.

They should be glad it wasn't the "Brown Note".

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2017, 2321 UTC »
Pedro flipped the wrong switch and this is all an act of incompetence. He started an international incident and now we all pay the price. Or he's wishing for The Cuban Missile Crisis Redux.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 14, 2017, 0239 UTC »
The Brown Note, I was wondering if it was something like this. I measured 7100Hz (by zooming in on the sound in audacity and counting the waves in a fraction of a second).  And according to this great website :
http://lunarsight.com/freq.htm
...it doesn't have anything specific about 7100Hz. 
But aquarium pumps make a noise and they mess with me.  So do old buzzing fluorescent lights, they mess with me too. 
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2017, 1514 UTC »
The Russkiis used microwaves to perturb our embassy folks, such that their eyes would bleed. Anyway, maybe the Cubans are using multiple sound beams aimed at our base, where they meet and mix inside the hearer's head? They might also be using rf and doing the same things.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 17, 2017, 0056 UTC »
The Russkiis used microwaves to perturb our embassy folks, such that their eyes would bleed. Anyway, maybe the Cubans are using multiple sound beams aimed at our base, where they meet and mix inside the hearer's head? They might also be using rf and doing the same things.

Josh I remember when the Ruskies did their microwave thing towards our embassy in Moscow.  Maybe the Cubans are modulating microwaves with a (as an example) 10khz tone and the human skull could be demodulating the audio tone?  Both the microwaves and the demodulated tone would be an effective weapon on the brain.  But I suspect not... I would hope the tech folks tracking down the problem would have made microwaves RF as one of the first tests for emissions... but who knows... maybe they don't have memories as long as we do :-)

I just had an idea...  perhaps it is UV light...  even modulated UV light... good grief !!! I'll be thinking about this all night... <heh> 
« Last Edit: October 17, 2017, 0101 UTC by ka1iic »
73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: October 17, 2017, 1835 UTC »
I'm kinda bloodthirsty, and my first thought once it had been determined who was doing it, was a few mfing tomahawks through Raul Castro's mistresses window. An attack on an US embassy is an attack on the US of A and an act of war. I feel sorry for the Cuban people and wish them no harm, but not their "leadership".

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 18, 2017, 0311 UTC »
I'm kinda bloodthirsty, and my first thought once it had been determined who was doing it, was a few mfing tomahawks through Raul Castro's mistresses window. An attack on an US embassy is an attack on the US of A and an act of war. I feel sorry for the Cuban people and wish them no harm, but not their "leadership".

I had a professor who went to University with the Castro boys. You'd just be killing innocent women. Raul doesn't like the girls. The story of young Raul scaling the walls of the U. of Havana in a wedding dress after hours, escaping a hoard of young men one of whom he tried to pick up, is legendary in both Cuba and the overseas exile community.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: October 19, 2017, 1710 UTC »
In that case Raul is someone's mistress.

Launch the tomahawks!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: October 20, 2017, 1347 UTC »
I don't think Fidel let him have the operation or the option when he was above ground? Raul has a family, then he has young male protegees like Liberace did.

The supremely ironic thing about the entire situation is Raul was in charge of cracking down on gays in Cuba after the Revolution. He sent them to the Isle of Pines. It may have got him pick of the litter, but it did the opposite of what was intended to do. Lock up a bunch of guys who like to have sex with other guys on an island together? Yeah, that will stop them.

It's the same strategy Mussolini tried to pull in Italy. He had all the known gay men in Italy put on small island camps off the coast for the better part of his two decade run thinking it would cleanse the country of them? Instead it created the first openly gay communities in Europe in on those islands in nearly 1600 years.