We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Emisión DX 52 - Pirate Radio Stations in South America  (Read 1952 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Emisión DX 52 - Pirate Radio Stations in South America
« on: October 14, 2017, 2105 UTC »
DX COM AR is the program dedicated to diexism, radio amateur, shortwave, communications and digital environments, edited by Arnaldo Slaen, who presents the contents with Luis Maria Barassi.

We begin our program with a round of interesting recent data capture that will surely be of interest to our listeners diexists.

From somewhere in the Argentine Republic is transmitting a strange pirate station that is identified as Lupo Radio and transmits in the variable frequencies of 6973 Khz and 6975 Khz, always in AM mode.

Lupo Radio has been heard by this publisher in Lima, a city located about 100 kms from the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires but also from the Autonomous City of Buenos Aires, where it has also been reported by the director of RAE Argentina to the World, Adrián Korol . It was even heard from the city of Neuquén, in Patagonia Argentina by the Engineer Alejandro Daniel Álvarez.

Lupo Radio broadcasts mainly on Saturdays, from before 22 UTC and until different times. Their programs consist of uninterrupted music, like tangos or entrerrianas or other expressions of folk music, with some sporadic identifications. We recall that the frequencies in which it was reported were and are 6973 Khz and 6975 Khz, always in AM mode.

Another South American pirate station that can be regularly heard on Fridays and Sundays but almost every Saturday on Radio RCW also known as Radio Compañía Worldwide. This station announces to transmit from San Francisco, in Chile and has different programs. It can be heard generally in the frequency of 6925 Khz, in AM mode although sometimes it is better to put superior lateral band to improve the quality of tuning. It has its own spaces, usually musicals with climate reports throughout Chile and greetings to listeners and sometimes reproduce programs produced as the space diexista led by colleague Dino Bloise and is called "Frecuencia al Dia".

Finally and continuing with the listenings of pirate stations, we want to tell you that a third station of this type is radiating its spaces from somewhere in South America. This is Radio Piranha International, which broadcasts on weekends from 22 UTC and until the morning of the following day on the frequency of 6930 khz. Their programs consist of music with many identifications.

All these pirate stations are very interesting opportunities to listen to radios totally different, perhaps a mixture of radio amateur and broadcasting, where the amateur spirit of its creators is noticed every moment. Most of them check with QSL card, electronic or printed so it is well worth trying the tuning.

Translation of: http://www.radionacional.com.ar/emision-dx-52/
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
Re: Emisión DX 52 - Pirate Radio Stations in South America
« Reply #1 on: October 15, 2017, 0104 UTC »
Thanks so much for this. I just saw your QSL for Lupo Radio and read that they transmit every night. I was wondering if they still did it, will have to keep an eye out for those carriers!
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2017, 1355 UTC »
I've QSLed two of the three stations mentioned, but RCW is going to be tricky, as they use 6925 kHz. So a random carrier and weak signal there is more likely to be a US pirate than them.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Antennae

• CA, USA
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 16, 2017, 2136 UTC »
Do you have any tips on the best season to catch them?  From California, according to my trusty azimuthal map I have a big patch of ocean between me and lots of S. America. I figure that would help waves bounce to me.
California Coast
Antenna: random wire

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 17, 2017, 1830 UTC »
Viva Lupo Radio!
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: October 17, 2017, 2028 UTC »
Do you have any tips on the best season to catch them?  From California, according to my trusty azimuthal map I have a big patch of ocean between me and lots of S. America. I figure that would help waves bounce to me.

Lupo seems to go QRT around 0100-0130z, which might make reception difficult at best in CA, although perhaps more likely in winter when the path should be in full darkness then?
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #6 on: October 18, 2017, 1517 UTC »

Another South American pirate station that can be regularly heard on Fridays and Sundays but almost every Saturday on Radio RCW also known as Radio Compañía Worldwide. This station announces to transmit from San Francisco, in Chile and has different programs. It can be heard generally in the frequency of 6925 Khz, in AM mode although sometimes it is better to put superior lateral band to improve the quality of tuning. It has its own spaces, usually musicals with climate reports throughout Chile and greetings to listeners and sometimes reproduce programs produced as the space diexista led by colleague Dino Bloise and is called "Frecuencia al Dia".

"Superior Lateral band" is a literal translation of "upper side band" in Spanish.  Chances are, they're using both AM and USB on 6925 kHz. 

EDIT:  After re-reading that, it may actually only be in AM mode, but the writer is sugguesting that the listener tunes the station in USB mode to improve reception.  Hard to say.  If they were recommending SSB, they would have just said "lateral band" (rough translation).  Of course, they could be recommending USB due to QRM on 6925 LSB.
« Last Edit: October 18, 2017, 1520 UTC by R4002 »
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m