We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Homebrew numbers startions  (Read 6784 times)

Offline N1XON

• View Profile
Homebrew numbers startions
« on: October 23, 2008, 0234 UTC »
Ive been looking on the web for some home made numbers stations. anyone know anything?
Ive been writing some code in C++ to generate random numbers and say them using a computer built in voice feature.
My friend is working on the hardware end, making a custom speaker jack (with interrupted transmit so my radio dosent overheat).
Were gonna blast it with a linear over a cb channel for now. AM radio in the future mabey. (dont tell the fcc)

Has anyone else ever done this?  I would be surprised if we were the first

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
Re: Homebrew numbers startions
« Reply #1 on: October 25, 2008, 0143 UTC »
Not to disparage your endeavor, but there are a few flaws. The obvious one being to put this out on CB radio. I don't think many CBers would enjoy listening to this. Why not find yourself a frequency agile HF rig and get on the numbers stations' "home turf" and maybe confuse or entertain some ute or pirate listeners? Your idea would receive more attention, probably.

There have been, in the past, numbers spoof stations. That might be a little more interesting. One in the near past used clips of Brother Stair, and another much older one used popular Mexican foods instead of numbers. They are funny when they show up... occasionally.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

cmradio

« Reply #2 on: October 25, 2008, 0522 UTC »
This would be amusing. I can see the local DHS office going into "Red alert! Man the phasers!" mode :D

Peace!

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 29, 2008, 0856 UTC »
I knew a couple of guys who did it. Used the number cypher of the Bavarian Illuminati one found in a book on secret societies. It got out of hand,numbers geeks around the world went nuts in under a week and it resulted in Al Fansome getting weird emails from around the world about his safety. Went on for months.

Some jackasses stole it for their TV show"Lost" a couple of years later and started the whole mess over again.

The upshot of it is;never mix the Illuminati with Rabbits. It results in a foul tasting stew.

Offline bobby_blaze

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 29, 2008, 0229 UTC »
I thought WBNY's coded broadcasts could be considered a home-brew number station.
If you go through with the plan, just make sure you remind everyone to check their tire pressure. ;)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: December 29, 2008, 1825 UTC »
Homebrewed? Yep,drinkin' stuff made in the basement may have had something to do with that one.

There was a Mexican Food phonetics station a few years back,too.

Offline mr. mike

• West Coast
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2009, 0806 UTC »
Not to disparage your endeavor, but there are a few flaws. The obvious one being to put this out on CB radio. I don't think many CBers would enjoy listening to this.

When the Mexicans got really annoying on Channel 19, I would key up with: "Attencion! Attencion! Cero-Uno-Ocho-Ocho-Dos-Cinco, etc." for a minute. Drove `em to another channel.
"I will not be filed, indexed, briefed, debriefed, or numbered." - Number 6

Offline Tube Shortwave

• View Profile
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2009, 0422 UTC »
Been there, done that.

I know of one station that was more than willing to continue operations sending numbers.  However, the op requested a program to convert letters to numbers A=1, B=2, etc. in order to cut down on the amount of time it took the op to prepare the transmissions.  I guess nobody came through.

Offline 4405486

• View Profile
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2010, 2117 UTC »
I for one, speaking for myself, would not have any reason to do this. Also, given todays technology and technology of the future- I wouldn't go there.

I just posted a message on a "Numbers Relay Page"; for fun and educational purposes. Since I used a shared network, Public Library and my Library Card- that cover is "blown". Same goes for WIFI network. I consider the Internet a unsecured network "period".

Over the Radio, with the logistics involved and need for cohesive organization- forget it. Somebody, somewhere, for some reason is likely to cause compromise.
Although, it's ancient history- case in point, remember Walker the  guy who gave the Russians operating and repair manuals and whatnot for KW-7 and KG-13 Cryptomachines? Former Navy Officer. I did field maintainance on both the KW-7 and KG-13; and never saw any of these manuals; evidently the Russians got to read them at there leisure.

I commented on this subject sometime ago and deleted my comments because of the anonymous comments that followed mine; or so he thinks, General Class License isn't? Point is none of this is secure; and these deletions may not be visible, but they are stored somewhere.

Speaking for myself, other than for fun and educational purposes, I for one, would be very carefull. Presently, I'm interested in learning about "Book Encryption" Techniques and musing about how this One-Time Encryption material is physically distributed in the Field. For fun and education.

I would like to point out, that it is my understanding that some governments including the U.S. Government, consider Cryptography Equipment and Techniques as Weaponry. Some of you Guys do that QRPP Beacon Stuff, and perhaps drift off Frequency from time-to-time; however, to my mind this is a whole different Enchilada. It is legal to practice One-Time Encryption on the Internet- just go to a Numbers Relay page. In this day and age I would do nothing that could come back to haunt me- keep it light. Based on my recent experiences of opting out of my Internet accounts especially FaceBook (SUCKS!!!!!); then finally opening another e-mail account; I wouldn't trust these computers any further than I could throw one. I have never owned a Computer in my life- you couldn't give me one; I use the Public Library and presently this malfunctioning piece of crap at Cal Poly University- it's all tracable. LapTops transmit some type of signal that ID's that particular machine when used in a WiFi network or so I'm told.
« Last Edit: November 14, 2010, 1946 UTC by 4405486 »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns