We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A Visit with Victor Goonetilleke  (Read 1807 times)

Offline VK3BVW

• Mount Evelyn, Victoria, Australia
    • View Profile
    • The Mount Evelyn DX Report
A Visit with Victor Goonetilleke
« on: October 21, 2017, 2327 UTC »
The legendary South Asian DXer, shortwave listener, amateur radio operator (4S7VK) and all-round-good-guy, Victor Goonetilleke has been here in Melbourne over the past two months visiting his daughter and her lovely young family. I have known Victor since the early 70s when we were both strapping young lads, and we corresponded occasionally either directly or through the pages of the Australian DX News. Many years later, I had several contacts with him on the 20m amateur band, which I was most excited about! And then about three years ago, I got to meet Victor face-to-face on his first visit to Melbourne. On that occasion, we spent the morning visiting the Reach Beyond Australia (formerly HCJB Aust.) studios, lunch and later back to my radio shack.

Well, Victor has been back in town and we caught up again at his daughter's home this week. We yacked away, like two old women....except we are now two old men!! 😉  Three hours later, the conversation had ranged across many topics including the past, present and future of the shortwave listening hobby, DXpeditions, coping with the RF interference menace, raising the standard of reception report writing, QSLs, amateur radio, and many other things. We also reflected on what has been happening in our respective families.

While he was here, I had hoped to take Victor on a mini DXpedition for a day out listening in the bush. But it could not be arranged on his visit this time around. But perhaps next year? Anyway, it was a wonderful morning spent with this delightful and genial famous DXer. I very much look forward to his next visit to Melbourne.

73, Rob VK3BVW

Rob Wagner VK3BVW
www.medxr.blogspot.com
Yaesu FTDX3000, Kenwood TS2000, Yaesu FRG100, horizontal loop,dipoles for 80, 40 & 20m, Par EF-SWL Antenna,
BHI NEIM1031 Digi Noise Eliminating Module,
MFJ-1026 Noise Cancelling Module, MFJ and Tokyo Hi-Power ATU

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A Visit with Victor Goonetilleke
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2017, 0046 UTC »
Rob, great report of a great visit. Enjoyed reading it. Shame you weren't able to go on the mini DXpedition.
Any further comments on raising the standard of reception report writing? Sounds like an interesting topic.
BTW, the VKs have been really booming in here just after sunrise the last two days.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline ByteBORG

• DX Legend
  • It Is Our Nature...
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2017, 1348 UTC »
Enjoyed many a DX Report from him in my earlier SWL days,
listening to him on the parents old Grundig console Hi Fi.
+ Always listening for that elusive RF...
+ microtelecom Perseus / FunCube Dongle Pro+ / FT450-D / FT101-D
+ RF Sys EMF  / RF Sys MLB w/Long Wire / HomeBrew Inverted "V" cut for 43 mtrs.
+ 73 & Good DX !!!
+ Please eQSL to: s<dot>csiki<at>comcast<dot>net

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: October 25, 2017, 1120 UTC »
I have heard of Victor, and recall reading some of his articles / reports in either PopComm or MT. God bless him, he's a veteran DXer and was one of the DXer voices from a part of the world that many of us knew little about.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground T-Shirt
by MitchellTimeDesigns