We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Perseus SDR freezing up?  (Read 2025 times)

Offline SWVBVA

• View Profile
    • Email
Perseus SDR freezing up?
« on: September 02, 2017, 1516 UTC »
Hello All,

Is there anyone out there that owns, or have worked on, a Perseus that knows why they freeze up some times?  Mine will operate for about 5 seconds then freeze.  When I hit the red "X" to close, nothing the first time but my curser doing circles like it is thinking, click it a second time and the window goes opaque with another window of "Not Responding"

Seems to happen if I have had my computer on for a few hours before I turn the radio on.

Any help would be greatly appreciated.   
Eric F.
Virginia Beach VA
Radios: Grundig YB 400, Grundig Satellit 750, Perseus SDR
Antennas: 80' Random Wire

Offline SV1XV

• Athens, Greece
    • View Profile
    • SV1XV blog
Re: Perseus SDR freezing up?
« Reply #1 on: September 02, 2017, 1549 UTC »
I had this software freezing problem when I was feeding Perseus from a power supply with the negative pole connected to the station ground.

However I noticed that the freezing did not occur when I was using Perseus' own switching power supply.

Then I built a separate 5V - 3A power supply with floating output and the problem disappeared.

It seems freezing is caused by some type of ground loop through the USB connection.

Offline SWVBVA

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Perseus SDR freezing up?
« Reply #2 on: November 01, 2017, 2200 UTC »
Thank you for the reply!  Not an electronics type.  How does one get a floating output?

Eric
Eric F.
Virginia Beach VA
Radios: Grundig YB 400, Grundig Satellit 750, Perseus SDR
Antennas: 80' Random Wire

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns