We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Electromagnetic Pulse Web Page  (Read 2522 times)

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
Electromagnetic Pulse Web Page
« on: October 26, 2017, 0100 UTC »
I found this highly recommended link and thought I would share it.
http://www.futurescience.com/emp/index.html
I highly recommend the EMP Myths page which is a must read. I have also read the general introduction, personal protection, EMP effects on motor vehicles and standby generators for EMP pages. Lots of good information on all the pages. The Personal Protection page covers shielding methods that are reasonably easy to do by an individual.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
Re: Electromagnetic Pulse Web Page
« Reply #1 on: October 27, 2017, 1019 UTC »
Interesting articles. Thanks for posting the link.

Looks like some transistor radios could survive an EMP -- if not attached to an external antenna. That was interesting to read.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #2 on: October 27, 2017, 1617 UTC »
Thanks for posting the link.  I found the article about automobiles and EMP survivability to be very interesting.  I also like how the author pointed out that most folks would starve to death or die of ailment x because of inaccessibility to food and medication/drugs in the weeks following a catastrophe even if they had a fully functional car or truck sitting in their driveway.  I also found it important to note that even if your vehicle survived an EMP intact it wouldn't make too much of a difference in the longer run since there's only so much that can be done once the fuel distribution networks have been totally knocked out.

Keep your tanks full folks.   Also, stock up on ammo.  And food.  And water.  And radios.  :D
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #3 on: October 27, 2017, 1733 UTC »
Keep your tanks full folks.   Also, stock up on ammo.  And food.  And water.  And radios.  :D

Fansome is all set. He's got 10,000 hand operated can openers in the basement. They're going to be worth a fortune, because everyone will have forgotten about the can opener.
« Last Edit: October 27, 2017, 2241 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: October 27, 2017, 2143 UTC »
Don't forget about his fleet of Stingray bikes with the convenient stick shift mounted in front of the seat. You've got your choice of one, three, or five speeds, but it doesn't really matter, they're all the same.

The consumer kids bikes of the mid/late '60's were engineering marvels.

Offline radiogaga

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 28, 2017, 0347 UTC »
Vrroom, Vrroom ;)

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns