We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: I'm double old...  (Read 2169 times)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
I'm double old...
« on: October 31, 2017, 0145 UTC »
I thought it was sacrilege when I heard a Ramones song used in a TV commercial 25 years ago. I just heard The Pixies "Here Comes Your Man" in one just a moment ago.  The world has gone to Hell.

BTW, is just me, or was Kim Deal the toughest looking member of The Pixies? The rest of them were about as scary as a basket of kittens.

Speaking of late 80's bands, my kid saw the Dead Milkmen at the Trocadero in Philly a few nights back. Nothin' like getting to sing along to "Stuart" with the Milkmen in their hometown. She said "My life is now complete."

I'd be willing to bet you won't ever see Coors using "Stuart" in a commercial.

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: I'm double old...
« Reply #1 on: October 31, 2017, 0150 UTC »
Indeed.  Nor Dead Kennedys Too Drunk to Fuck.  A classic.  Still have my 45.
Jack Daniels.  It will get you wasted and all whiskey dick Willied.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: October 31, 2017, 0437 UTC »
LOL! That's the first song I heard from the DK's, I couldn't stop laughing when I heard it.

About the time the Milkmen hit it big with their super-smash hit, "Punk Rock Girl", my then girlfriend and future wife were sitting on the back porch of our garage apt. listening to some music. There were a bunch of local kids skating in the alley, we were watching them try to break their necks and laughing at them trashing each other. One of them caught what we were listening to and said to the rest, "They're listening to the Dead Kennedy's, and they're old!" I think I was 27? There's no way I'm saying how old my wife was. Those kids could be old enough to have a 27 year old by now.

Offline curious george

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: October 31, 2017, 1126 UTC »
I had the same reaction Pigmeat when I heard first heard the Ramones in a TV commercial.  There have been quite a few others since then.  Until I can think of a few more examples, how about this toe-tapping ditty to help sell Dunlop tires?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VXIfLguIcxs

I think that one is pretty hard to top.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #4 on: October 31, 2017, 1148 UTC »
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: October 31, 2017, 2222 UTC »
Now we know what really killed Lou Reed. lol.

MDK, I went through a lecture from club owner about 15 years ago due to making snarky and loud comments about a certain band who was playing there sound being new...... when Stiff Little Fingers came up with it 25 years before. To top it off the club owner was a friend of mine from the SLF's heyday and knew exactly what I meant. He was all about selling booze and getting his cut of the sales of the band's merchandise. I have't been in the place since.

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: October 31, 2017, 2331 UTC »
Well shit, I partied with Jake a bit waaaaaay back when I went to England.  Good god I must have been only 20 years old or so.

Offline moof

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: October 31, 2017, 2342 UTC »
and then in the late 90s I had some SLF screensaver photo on my PC and a vendor guy says 'Oh SLF yeah i partied with Jake and fucked some chick that gave me hepatitis around that time' and he was having a real hard time with the peg-interferon shit.  Felt like he was dying but that was the best treatment.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #8 on: November 01, 2017, 0215 UTC »
SLF may be my favorite UK punk band, including The Clash and any others you could care to name. Those first two records are pure gold.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail