We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: SDR-setting I/R gain?  (Read 2102 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
SDR-setting I/R gain?
« on: November 05, 2017, 0328 UTC »
Could someone explain the difference between the gain settings in SdrDx for an AFEDRI SDR?  You can apparently set the RF gain at the SDR itself (in the SDR setup menu), but there's also a slider for I/R gain in the main software window.  How does one go about finding the optimal gain settings?
Thanks,
Robert
LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
Re: SDR-setting I/R gain?
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 1649 UTC »
What I do is find the spectrum where I have the most trouble as far as imd and so on, typically the ambc band as there are several broadcasters within 25 miles or so. Then I adjust the gain settings for no imd on that band and lock it down. Also be sure to check the noise blanker level, if too high this will stimulate imd due to nearby strong signals. The noise blanker setting is often overlooked in the search for imd sources and fixes.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns