We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Ground Loops  (Read 1231 times)

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
Ground Loops
« on: December 20, 2017, 1719 UTC »
 ;D  I recently tried to tie two mixing boards into a SSB transmitter. I needed to use at least 30 db attenuation before putting the baseband into the mike jack. Well, the mixing boards available Radio Shack and Yamaha, both have power supplies from line current through a sealed power box.
Using DLSR it creates a residual hum about 20 db below peak baseband. I tried to isolate the issue, and discovered something I don't quite grasp yet. Using audio directly from a CD player or a Gemini Card recorder, does the trick. The hum disappears.
I can only assume its caused by ground loops. two or more grounds.. So the short term solution be I suppose, using a isolation transformer for audio ( a rare bird to find these days).
Anyone else have this pesky issue?

Jay :o
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Ground Loops
« Reply #1 on: December 20, 2017, 2117 UTC »
 :-\ I find I can get 1 to 1 Transformers for audio from a number of electronics outlets. They are for most part dirt cheap, less than 5 dollars. I believe this will allow feeding through a mixer without hum and other noise disturbances.

And I actually got ten 1:1 transformers (very small like you may recall from a 1950's transistor radio)
Using it the loop was reduced and noise went down a great deal. This resulted in far less audio distortion than previously was obtainable. ;D
« Last Edit: December 30, 2017, 2129 UTC by digitalmod »
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns