We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: QRP Pixie rig as CW beacon  (Read 5669 times)

Offline joczo

• View Profile
    • Email
QRP Pixie rig as CW beacon
« on: November 06, 2017, 0827 UTC »
Hi guys,in the last couple of days I was thinking about setting up and HF beacon,but I couldn't really find anything useful on google about them.And then the qrp pixie cw transceiver came to my mind,as they are dirt cheap and simple,and with the couple hundred mW's is perfect for this purpose.
But my problem is,as a beginner in electronics,how could I key it automatically?Is it possible to do it from a pc without complicating it too much,or should I get something like an arduino nano?
Also on the pixie,how far can I go from the original 7023kHz by changing the crystal?
Thanks in advance! :)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: QRP Pixie rig as CW beacon
« Reply #1 on: November 06, 2017, 1246 UTC »
I'm working on some beacons that I plan to offer as simple kits. Including a built in keyer. Stay tuned...
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #2 on: November 06, 2017, 1515 UTC »
I'm working on some beacons that I plan to offer as simple kits. Including a built in keyer. Stay tuned...

Been looking for something like this. Any advanced specs yet?

Please keep us informed.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline joczo

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 06, 2017, 1522 UTC »
That would be awesome!But please keep the costs low if possible,I don't want to spend a fortune :D Good luck in the project,we are waiting for more infos!

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 06, 2017, 2237 UTC »

Stocking Stuffers!!!!
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: November 06, 2017, 2258 UTC »

Stocking Stuffers!!!!

You could hide the stocking, and make them DF it to find it!
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 07, 2017, 1517 UTC »
http://www.g4jnt.com/bcnkeyer.htm

Sorry Chris!

You can use this to key the driver on one of my Tx's

Never tried it but will work fine.

You can 'Tune' the O/P from 20W down to whatever....

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
« Reply #7 on: November 07, 2017, 1523 UTC »

I may be interested in one of these. What frequency range are you planning to offer?

Curt / W9SPY

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #8 on: November 07, 2017, 1853 UTC »

I may be interested in one of these. What frequency range are you planning to offer?

Curt / W9SPY

The first one will be for 22 meters (13560 +/-) although it could certainly be used on other bands with an appropriate crystal, and changing the number of turns on the output filter inductors and the capacitors.  Then something with a bit more power (maybe a watt or so?) for the various ham bands.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: November 07, 2017, 2318 UTC »
    You may already have one, and don't even know it. I'm not a big Yaesu fan, but I did have the FT-857D transceiver that came with a programmable beacon feature. I used it to TX at 5W on 6M my call and grid square when I had an inkling of E-skip coming open. However, you can program it to CW ID whatever you want, and at what speed you want. Bum side is the MIN low power being 5W, but you could attenuate that by -20dB, or more, externally. Passing thought there. I got rid of that rig since it sucks on AM, but that beacon feature was a nice added treat fo' sure!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Finman

« Reply #10 on: November 14, 2017, 1604 UTC »
Then there's this for only $33!  http://qrp-labs.com/ultimate3/u3s.html

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2017, 2023 UTC »
The PCBs arrived. There's always the question when building the first board... was the PCB layout correct? Will it work?  And yes, it does!

Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: November 26, 2017, 1919 UTC »
The PCBs arrived. There's always the question when building the first board... was the PCB layout correct? Will it work?  And yes, it does!

8) :)
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline QRP

• View Profile
« Reply #13 on: November 27, 2017, 1636 UTC »
It seems to be a good project that we are interested in and we wonder how many will be manufactured and what the unit price will be?

//QRP

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #14 on: November 27, 2017, 1735 UTC »
<waiting patiently for the PayPal "buy now" link>

:D
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/