We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: New HIFER Beacon "RF" is on the air!!  (Read 9113 times)

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
Re: New HIFER Beacon "RF" is on the air!!
« Reply #15 on: November 29, 2017, 2345 UTC »
Skipmuck - can you connect the receiver audio to a computer?

If so, there are some great free programs - I use Spectrum Lab, a spectrum analyser application - that provide a visual of the signal. You can enter the VFO setting from the receiver and determine the signal frequency very accurately. Another benefit is that you can use the program to "see" signals that you can't hear, and run slow traces to visualise the slow modes that some beacons use.

Ed

Offline Skipmuck

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #16 on: November 30, 2017, 0003 UTC »
Thanks for the information Ed H! I've downloaded the Spectrum Lab and will have to study up a bit on the Help section to see if I can get it working properly. Yes, I have a direct patch from the Old analog NRD-515 to my PC. I regularly use Shazam, MMSSTV, and record using Audacity.
QSL's to poorbrookking >at< aol.com are greatly appreciated! All reception and postings using My radio, My antenna, and generally in real time(excluding posting of SSTV images!).
QTH:Springfield, MA
JRC NRD-515 with 43 meter half wave dipole into MFJ 949E Versa Tuner: also Grove SP-200 & SONY 2010's

Finman

« Reply #17 on: November 30, 2017, 1230 UTC »
Awesome! thank you for the report Skipmuck.

Hearing this now at 1711 UTC 29 NOV 2017 in Springfield MA with signal fading in and out of the noise floor...my first ID'able 22 meter beacon! "RF"  8)
1725 UTC Now mixing with another beacon "GNK"
Sadly, determining exact frequencies for CW with the NRD-515 is somewhat of a crap shoot! In fact, I have to off tune to hear them  :(

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
« Reply #18 on: November 30, 2017, 1850 UTC »
Thanks for the information Ed H! I've downloaded the Spectrum Lab and will have to study up a bit on the Help section to see if I can get it working properly. Yes, I have a direct patch from the Old analog NRD-515 to my PC. I regularly use Shazam, MMSSTV, and record using Audacity.

Great! sounds like you are all set. There can be lots of fun stuff to dig out if you have patience for the slower modes :).

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #19 on: December 01, 2017, 1852 UTC »
I have a very good signal from RF at 1849z on 1 Dec 2017 on 13564.34 kHz ! I think my first time hearing RF.

Here is a screenshot. Slightly below RF you can see my beacon CDS, which is actually sitting in the basement now with no antenna connected.

« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 1901 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Finman

« Reply #20 on: December 01, 2017, 1913 UTC »
Hey Chris!.. fantastic!.... was it audible? or just visible..

..was that with your new loop?.........

wow... look at all that noise on 13.560!
« Last Edit: December 01, 2017, 1920 UTC by Finman »

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #21 on: December 02, 2017, 1355 UTC »
It was quite audible, with a strong clear signal at times. I checked the ionosondes, and Wallops Island was reporting an foF2 value of 14 MHz, which is amazing. It only lasted half an hour or an hour though.

Yes, this was with the new loop, and the AirSpyHF+
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #22 on: December 02, 2017, 1938 UTC »
RF fading in at 1938z on 2 Dec 2017.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Finman

« Reply #23 on: December 03, 2017, 1418 UTC »
Great! I hope this is a preview of possible good wintertime conditions!

Offline Ed H

• View Profile
« Reply #24 on: December 04, 2017, 1746 UTC »
RF was coming in to California nicely yesterday afternoon, several IDs plainly audible between fade. Time was around 1900UTC. Nice clean signal, by the way, no hint of roughness as I'd previously thought.

Finman

« Reply #25 on: December 04, 2017, 1755 UTC »
Thank you very much for the report Ed. I shut the beacon off for about an hour yesterday to try and listen for some beacons.... nothing but noise  :(
I was originally going to switch over to the QRP labs U3S which I just completed (and it's working very well) but my homebrew design is working so well I may just leave it like it is.

RF was coming in to California nicely yesterday afternoon, several IDs plainly audible between fade. Time was around 1900UTC. Nice clean signal, by the way, no hint of roughness as I'd previously thought.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #26 on: December 12, 2017, 1504 UTC »
RF coming in here at 1503z on 13564.32. Weak but audible. Clearly visible on the waterfall. Pleasantly surprised to hear some 22m activity this early in the day,
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline tesla

• View Profile
« Reply #27 on: December 12, 2017, 1754 UTC »
Dec 12   time 1751 utc   RF making the trip out to Colorado.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #28 on: December 12, 2017, 1808 UTC »
RF re-appeared here at 1805z, with a really strong signal at times. GNK is in the mix as well.  We had a little bump in the foF2 values around 1500z when I was picking up RF earlier, probably another one now.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #29 on: December 13, 2017, 2212 UTC »
RF just faded in with a really nice signal here at 2210z. The little beacon that could!  :)
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD