We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What was the origin of this broadcast - 6100 kHz 2:00 A.M. UTC 10/21  (Read 3067 times)

Offline dragund

• View Profile
    • Email
I need somebody who understands Japanese to answer this:

On October 21st at night (around 2:00 A.M. UTC), I picked up a good shortwave signal at 6100 kHz.  I don’t speak or understand the language, but the announcers are clearly speaking Japanese and it appears to be coverage of an MMA event.  Can somebody confirm this and tell me what event it was.  Also, WTF was it doing on shortwave radio?  Was it a legal broadcast or some sort of illegal audio stream?

At first, I thought it was Korean as internet resources (https://www.shortwaveschedule.com/?now=true) stated that the signal was from KCBS Pyongyang in North Korea, but the spoken voices are clearly Japanese.

https://soundcloud.com/user-437184959/north-korea

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 11, 2017, 1800 UTC by dragund »

Offline prldx

• View Profile
Re: What was the origin of this broadcast - 6100 kHz 2:00 A.M. UTC 10/21
« Reply #1 on: November 11, 2017, 2039 UTC »
Hi !

Clear ID "NHK World Radio Nippon" at the beginning of your recording, so you can assume that it was legal broadcast. Although I could find any information about 6100 kHz used by NHK on for regular broadcasts in A17. But maybe some special live transmission frequency. Sorry, but I canīt say anything about the event from what they were broadcasting - I donīt speak Japanese too.

Patrick
Rx: AR7030 / Perseus
Ant: MK-1

"Radio was an exciting new invention that made it possible to hear other peopleīs voices in your living room without the use of thin walls or a devastating mental condition" (Cunk on Britain Ep 4)

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #2 on: November 12, 2017, 1546 UTC »
During the a17 broadcast period, NHK was on 6105 0300-0500 UTC, transmitting from Issoudun. Are you positive that this was copied at 0200? Because it's possible, if it were 0300, that you copied it at 6100 if your bandwidth setting was wide. That transmission was often quite strong in the USA.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline dragund

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 12, 2017, 1844 UTC »
You are correct,

I had initially reported the find two hours early because a different forum that I posted my find to is time stamping my posts two hours early, so I heard the signal around 0400.

My radio is a drop off so I accept the fact that the signal was in fact coming from 6105.

Thanks
« Last Edit: November 12, 2017, 1847 UTC by dragund »

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns