We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Recommendation for an Amateur Handheld Transceiver  (Read 5519 times)

WrongwayCorrigan

Recommendation for an Amateur Handheld Transceiver
« on: November 01, 2010, 0734 UTC »
Just getting started and a local ham recommended the Kenwood TH-F6A.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this radio?

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
Re: Recommendation for an Amateur Handheld Transceiver
« Reply #1 on: November 03, 2010, 0723 UTC »
I know many hams with this radio, and it is great for all levels of amateur, from Tech to Extra! Very easy to use, offers simultaneous listening on band "A" and "B". The radio will silence whatever band you are not TX'ing on while you TX on the other band.

This radio offers wide-band reception with AM, FM, SSB, and CW modes. Comes with a great Lith Ion battery, long life, holds a charge nicely. I've used a close friend's 6A and was really wowed by it and wish I would have chosen it as my first and only HT instead of the Yaesu rigs I bought. Remember though, this rig is only meant to withstand light rain and light exposure to moisture.

It's compact, not a brick. Easy carrying, offers a light that will let you know when charging is done. BTW, this radio is friendly enough that most of the hams I know who use it are blind, and they love it.

The rubber duck it comes with is nice, no problems with it that I've personally seen, but performs even better with a diamond tri-band HT antenna. Go to Youtube and type in "Kenwood THF-6A" to see real life non-hype demos.

WrongwayCorrigan

« Reply #2 on: November 04, 2010, 0329 UTC »
This radio offers wide-band reception with AM, FM, SSB, and CW modes.

This is another feature that draws me to this radio. It would be nice to use it for band scanning out in the field.

this radio is friendly enough

I hear this often about this radio. I already downloaded the manual to get an idea of the features and operation.

The rubber duck it comes with is nice, no problems with it that I've personally seen, but performs even better with a diamond tri-band HT antenna

Hopefully I can reach the local repeaters with the duck antenna, but it seems like upgrading is a typical way to go.

Thanks for the comprehensive review!

Offline SW-J

• Dallas, Texas
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 15, 2010, 0130 UTC »
Just getting started and a local ham recommended the Kenwood TH-F6A.

Anyone have thoughts or experience with this radio?

Daily carry or just once in awhile?

Fortunately, today's belt-worn 2-way stations are a lot more rugged than they were 10 to 15 years ago, so, if you're buying something of recent manufacture few worries for occasional use ... now, if it's going to be a 'daily-carry' and see a lot of use, there is only one choice IMNSHO: Motorola (been there and done it with several 'brands' ...)
o Icom IC-756ProII, ProIII, Alinco DX-70, Kenwood TS-680s
o WinRadio G303e, Degen/Kaito 1103/DE1103, Stoddart NM-25
o 1/2 wave 80m Dipole used with several tuners
o Tuned loops from 2' thru 16' diam. capable of 160m thru 10m

WrongwayCorrigan

« Reply #4 on: November 15, 2010, 0425 UTC »
This will be for occasional use,  so no worries about daily wear and tear.