We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Baseball team RETURNING to 50k watt clear channel station  (Read 1450 times)

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
Baseball team RETURNING to 50k watt clear channel station
« on: November 18, 2017, 2059 UTC »

Well, the Twins are returning from whence they started on the radio - upper midwest flame thrower WCCO 830 am, I know when I lived just west
of the Hudson River, I could receive it.  I may try tonight knowing the Twins will be there in 5 months.  I find this statement a positive one: But the move in-house, seen as a way to profit from ad revenue rather than rights fees.  Garnering more revenue from ads over fees means that the Twins believe there is a growing market for Radio and/or the Twins themselves are more attractive.  I find this refreshing in the wake of teams moving to small AM or FM station.  Up until recently, for twenty-plus years the Twins AA team was located a couple of dozen miles away from me.  I saw the very good 90's squads as well as the group Paul Molitor managed this year as minor leaguers.

http://www.startribune.com/twins-radio-broadcasts-will-move-back-to-wcco-radio/458079313/

« Last Edit: November 18, 2017, 2107 UTC by Ct Yankee »
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
Re: Baseball team RETURNING to 50k watt clear channel station
« Reply #1 on: November 20, 2017, 0216 UTC »
When they left WCCO, they went to KSTP which is 50 kW, but with a nighttime pattern to the west and effectively nothing to east. Then they moved to KQGO 96.3, with ERP of 19 kW and does not cover the Metro very well. Plus, baseball on FM? Abomination.

They're back where they belong and WCCO has very nice coverage with 50kW non-directional. The only downside is they run IBOC.
Minneapolis, MN

Offline Ct Yankee

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Tuned in, turned on with no drop out in Durham, CT
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2017, 2305 UTC »

Skeezix -

I'm in full agreement with you, I thought of you when I read the article.  I tried pulling in WCCO on Saturday night - ugh!  I forgot that I'm sandwiched between two stations on 830 am which both happen to be baseball network affiliates - WEEU Reading, PA (Phillies) and WCRN Worcester, MA (Red Sox).  In the summer, WEEU was more dominate but WCRN was booming in on Saturday.  I am glad for all those they can receive the Twins on 830.  Now if the Pirates went back to KDKA and Tigers to WJR.....
Tecsun H501x (broadcast received on this unless noted), Zenith T/O G500, Zenith T/O Royal 7000, Emerson AR-176, Zenith 8S154, T/O 7G605 (Bomber), Tecsun PL-600, Tecsun PL-880, Zenith 5S320, Realistic DX 160 using 40 feet of copper wire.  With apologies to Senator Gramm for his thoughts on firearms, "I have more radios than I need but not as many as I want."
QTH:  Durham, Connecticut (rural setting, 15 miles north of Long Island Sound)
qsl please to:  jamcanner@comcast.net  (Thank you)

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 21, 2017, 0212 UTC »
I looked at the pattern for those two and WCCO will be very hard, even with a loop or a phaser.
Minneapolis, MN