We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 1710 khz AM - "The Big Q"  (Read 5651 times)

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
1710 khz AM - "The Big Q"
« on: November 06, 2010, 1033 UTC »
I'm assuming this is a pirate and not a part 15 AM station due to references of the movie Pirate Radio.  Has anyone else heard this station before?  A Google search turned up only one other logging by another mystified MW DXer.

1710 khz UNID "You're listening to the the midnight man on the Big Q" -
UTC 0940-1033+ 11/6/2010 - I'm hearing an oldies stations here playing
1960s/1970s stuff with announcements between songs like "You're
listening to the Big Q".  Very good signal right now at S7 way over
Radio Soleil with slight warble to audio.  Songs heard include Beach
Boys "Help me Rhonda", Temptations "My Girl" sung by gravely voiced guy,
"Chantilly Lace", etc.  Ad for "GE Super Radio on eBay" and other
weirdness.  The announcer mentioned something about the movie "pirate
radio" and said it had nothing on his operation.  Pirate? Part 15? Don't
know!  Very professional sounding.

PLS QSL kilokat7(at)gmail.com
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
1980s pirate off-air archive
West Michigan DX

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: 1710 khz AM - "The Big Q"
« Reply #1 on: November 18, 2010, 2051 UTC »
I've been hearing a couple of mystery stations there for the past month. I got a tenative id on one as Voz de Latino Boston,but I caught one last Sunday night about 8 pm. EST playing opera with no breaks that never id'ed. It had about the best signal I've heard from the 1710 bunch.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #2 on: November 18, 2010, 2054 UTC »
1710 is always Radio Celestial here, from NYC. Apparently they bought the old Lubavitcher rig. 

FWIW They're not shy about their QTH, you can find their address on their website. Then go to google streetview, and you can see their antenna tower on the building.

Hilarious.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 2115 UTC »
Celestial is the one I hear the most frequently too,Chris.

I've been on the road a a lot the past couple of months and set the radio to 1710 about an hour before dusk.I get bits and pieces of stations,but the filter on the car radio is so broad they often get buried by the preachers out of Huntsville,AL. on 1700.

BTW,I think I heard your 1620 station last weekend? Same format you mentioned but no id's. I was just south of Pittsburgh in the 4:30 EST time frame when I caught it. Your guess is as good as any as to where it's coming from.

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: November 18, 2010, 2203 UTC »
BTW,I think I heard your 1620 station last weekend? Same format you mentioned but no id's. I was just south of Pittsburgh in the 4:30 EST time frame when I caught it. Your guess is as good as any as to where it's coming from.

Interesting. I was thinking it was the local college station, which runs 20W carrier current. But if you heard it up there, that makes me wonder if it is someone else.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline lovemyradios

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: November 18, 2010, 2339 UTC »
I get the preachers from Huntsville here just about every day and night.  Nothing on 1620 but a TIS from Cape Canaveral.  This TIS really puts out a big signal and while its listed as "20-watts" I'm pretty sure its a lot more.  I know where its located on Merritt Island and the ground system is in the swamp which might account for some of the coverage. 

Newfoundland DXer

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2010, 0053 UTC »
I get Radio Soleil from Brockton, MA most nights on 1710.  Occassionally, I have heard a Spanish lang station mixing with Soleil, but I have never been able to catch an ID.

BTW, Greek and Serbian stations use the 1700-1750 range frequently, often with quite high power (5kW or more).  I have heard and confirmed Radio B-52 from Greece on 1710.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2010, 0136 UTC »
I've posted some audio clips of "The Big Q" (or Big Cube?) - it's not what I normally hear on 1710 and I haven't heard it since:

1710 khz – The Big Q – Clip 1
1710 khz – The Big Q – Clip 2
1710 khz – The Big Q – Clip 3
1710 khz – The Big Q – Clip 4

Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline Beerus Maximus

• Administrator
  • DX Legend
  • Boston, Massachusetts
  • hold my beer and watch this
    • View Profile
    • Beerus' 30 Below Site
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: November 23, 2010, 0142 UTC »
Just curious what kind of setup (rig, antenna) you used to hear this station. I might try and listen some more down on MW this winter. The noise and hash is pretty unbearable here in the Boston burbs, though. Not to mention, 1620-1710 is awash in ethnic pirates in this area. In about 1990 or 1991, I heard a station on 1610 or 1620 called "WORM", which I think is the only hobby pirate I have ever heard on MW.
# Genetically engineered sentient sausage & undisputed inventor of the end-fed dipole. I also invented the schlumpy dipole.
# KiwiSDR, NetSDR, Airspy HF+, Airspy HF+ Discovery, TS-590, IC-7610, FTDX10, ANAN 7000 DLE MKII
# beerusmaximus@gmail.com * North Shore, Massachusetts

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2010, 0240 UTC »
A car radio when I'm on the road. A Drake R-3, a R-8A, a 30's era Philco tabletop, or a Grundig YB 400 at home. All of those either go to a twinlead fed 40 meter dipole linked together to make single active element or a homemade MW loop.

The ironic thing is my old sets do better for MW dx. I tried for two years to hear Radio Mosiach on the R-8 and a Sangean 909 with nothing but the occasional het. The first night I fired up the Philco hooked to the outdoor antenna R. Mosiach rolled in with ease.

Got to like those old tube rigs w/ no self generated digital noise.

Offline Kilokat7

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • West Michigan
    • View Profile
    • Kilokat7 DX
« Reply #10 on: November 24, 2010, 0006 UTC »
Just curious what kind of setup (rig, antenna) you used to hear this station. I might try and listen some more down on MW this winter. The noise and hash is pretty unbearable here in the Boston burbs, though. Not to mention, 1620-1710 is awash in ethnic pirates in this area. In about 1990 or 1991, I heard a station on 1610 or 1620 called "WORM", which I think is the only hobby pirate I have ever heard on MW.

If directed towards me, I'm using a Perseus SDR with two unterminated beverage-on-ground "bog" antennas (soon to be "beverage-under-snow" antennas!) of about 500 ft and 300 ft lengths.  I phase both wires with a Quantum Phaser.  On medium wave the phaser setup works well for nulling out pest stations when you're trying to hear DX on the same channel.  On shortwave, I'm finding it works better for eliminating man-made noise and peaking signals to some degree.  I started out with this setup for medium wave DXing but I'm finding decent results on the lower shortwave bands too. 

1710 at my location is usually a weak Radio Soleil.  I've heard some Spanish underneath it at times, but have never been able to ID it.  Soleil has an internet stream making their weak signal easy to ID.

BTW, Greek and Serbian stations use the 1700-1750 range frequently, often with quite high power (5kW or more).  I have heard and confirmed Radio B-52 from Greece on 1710.

Interesting information - about the power they use over there.  I'll have to pay more attention to the upper end of the band, or at least look for their carriers.  Speaking of carriers, I have the Perseus zoomed in tight on 1710 khz and I'm counting about 5 carriers on the waterfall display: 1709.94, 1709.98, 1709.99, 1710.01, 1710.03 & 1710.07 - the strongest are 1709.98 & 1710.03
Perseus SDR / DKAZ loops
West Michigan DX

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: November 25, 2010, 2134 UTC »
In the car last night, I could hear some Spanish talk & music. Not enough in to ID, but I guess it was Radio Celestial.
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V