We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: ISS SSTV planned for next week  (Read 2923 times)

Offline dragund

• View Profile
    • Email

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
  • North Fork St. Lucie River
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: ISS SSTV planned for next week
« Reply #1 on: December 01, 2017, 1413 UTC »
Thanks for info. I have a lot of fun receiving the station SSTV on a scanner and Chris' CQ SSTV app on my iPhone. The neighbors are always amazed.
QTH Florida's Treasure Coast, near Stuart 100 mi N of Miami Grid locator EL97uf
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline dragund

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 0344 UTC »
Thanks for info. I have a lot of fun receiving the station SSTV on a scanner and Chris' CQ SSTV app on my iPhone. The neighbors are always amazed.

Np

To decode SSTV signals, I normally connect my radio to a Windows Surface Tablet by an audio cord.  If don't know when a signal is coming (shortwave stuff) I just leave the MMSTV app running and it automatically decodes the signal and saves pictures in its directory.  If I know within a reasonable time that a signal is coming, (Like when tracking the ISS) I just leave audacity running and record the signal.  I can then clean up with signal a bit before running MMSTV.

For when I go outside to get a better signal, I'd like to directly connect the radio to my iPhone (7 with the lightning port) with an audio cord, but don't know what kind of cord to buy.  Do you use thsi kind of setup, or just play the audio into the iPhone's external microphone?

Ty

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2017, 1626 UTC »
I just play the audio from the scanner into the iPhone mic.
I also leave the FT-857 connected to the computer with audio cord directly to the computer running MMSSTV. The 857 uses a dual band J-Pole anntenns (2 m & 70 cm)

Update: No transmission on the 1900Z pass over the Caribbean. Waiting on 2030Z pass over the south and east of the US.
« Last Edit: December 05, 2017, 1959 UTC by Terry »
Equipment: Kenwood TS-480SAT, R-600, Yaesu FT-857D, R. S. SW portable (Sangean), R.S. Pro-106 Scanner 25-1300 MHz, HyGain 18AVQII, M2 6M 3 el beam, Misc verticals and dipoles
Terry

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #4 on: December 05, 2017, 2008 UTC »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: December 05, 2017, 2037 UTC »
Thanks Chris. I was just getting ready to post that nothing on the pass that is happening right now.
Do you have a recommendation for sstv on a MacBook Pro. As mentioned above, I have your app on my iPhone. I was looking at this:
http://www.qsl.net/kd6cji/downloads.html
Terry

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2017, 1101 UTC »
Thanks Chris. I was just getting ready to post that nothing on the pass that is happening right now.
Do you have a recommendation for sstv on a MacBook Pro. As mentioned above, I have your app on my iPhone.

I may be biased, but I recommend MultiMode Cocoa :)  https://www.blackcatsystems.com/software/cw-rtty-sstv-fax-psk31-packet-decoding-software.html
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Terry

• SE Florida
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: December 06, 2017, 1921 UTC »
Forgot you did a multimode program for the Mac.
Anyhoo, got up from afternoon nap and had received this during the 1 pm EST pass at 14 deg east. Ground track from Panama across Haiti and ending in the N Atlantic E of Bermuda.
Next pass over SE US in about 15 minutes.

Terry