We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Who Was Behind the Max Headroom Signal Intrusion?  (Read 2265 times)

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Re: Who Was Behind the Max Headroom Signal Intrusion?
« Reply #1 on: November 23, 2017, 0809 UTC »
I'd like to voice my support for a reappearance during next year's "State of the Union" speech....

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Fansome

« Reply #2 on: November 23, 2017, 1057 UTC »
Whoever he was, he made quite an impression. It took a lot of work, and undertook a    lot of risk. The fact that he looked like Pigmeat was just bad luck.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: November 23, 2017, 1138 UTC »
This would be much harder today.  The TV stations still using microwave are also using digital modulation with encryption.  In many ways, it would be far easier to break into a site, and patch in your ASI stream into the transmitters program mux, nevermind that the PID's and other stream information have to be identical or viewers would lose the signal.

I worked in TV during the digital transition and have some idea of how its done.  To do it right now would reguire really deep pockets.  It would have been a lot easier 20 years ago when the majority of the microwave shots were analog microwave.  Back then, all you needed was enough power to overcome the capture effect of the FM demodulator and you were in.

Poet; like in the movie 'Used Cars' ;)

+-RH
« Last Edit: November 23, 2017, 1242 UTC by redhat »
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 23, 2017, 1702 UTC »
I live near Chicago and can still remember the intrusion during the sports portion of the WGN news that night.  It was bizarre to say the least - I laughed so hard I almost peed my pants!!  Great stuff.
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: November 24, 2017, 1346 UTC »
Whoever he was, he made quite an impression. It took a lot of work, and undertook a    lot of risk. The fact that he looked like Pigmeat was just bad luck.

Still jealous, I see. Your women came looking for me, plain and simple. They knocked on the door, I opened it. "Come in", I said, "I'll give you shelter from storm." I'm not the guy who had to kidnap 'em while I was out picking up their Mormon wedding undies to make honest women of them.

Offline ka1iic

• Troy, Ohio
  • Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W,
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: November 25, 2017, 1508 UTC »
Pigmeat,  are those Mormon wedding undies the ones that come with a dozen extra replacement hymens  ???   Good deal I am told :-)

73 Vince
KA1IIC

"If you can't be anything, you can at least be annoying"

Troy, Ohio. 20m Vertical & low long wire E/W, Yaesu FT-187ND, SDRplay 2, Ratt Shack 2 meter rig, and other little bits of electronics I'm not talking about, homebrewed and otherwise... so there bleech!

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: November 25, 2017, 1712 UTC »
A mormon friend revealed that those draws imbue mysterious powas to their nethers.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.