We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: KaySeeks' NDB Loggings  (Read 1682 times)

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
KaySeeks' NDB Loggings
« on: December 05, 2017, 1000 UTC »
My first time ever trying NDB DX. Used the NH6XO SDR (Kaneohe, Oahu, Hawaii). Well over 20 beacons heard, mostly Hawaii and USA/Canadian west coast. Not going write it all here, but since I don't have a lot of experience, these were notable to me due to their distance from the RX:

2017-12-05 0845 365.0 AA Fargo, ND USA 6140 km
2017-12-05 0849 390.0 HBT Sand Point, AK USA 3814 km
2017-12-05 0850 390.0 EHM Cape Newenham, AK USA 4191 km
2017-12-05 0840 413.0 YHD Dryden, ON CAN 6457 km

AA and YHD have been widely reported so these aren't apparently too crazy.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: KaySeeks' NDB Loggings
« Reply #1 on: December 05, 2017, 2020 UTC »
YHD, nice one from HI...  sometimes can't receive it here in Michigan.
Welcome to NDB DX, hope you enjoy it !   :) 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline jFarley

• Marconi Class DXer
  • near Chicago
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 05, 2017, 2122 UTC »
Hey KS;

Welcome to this little cabal.  All loggings appreciated!
Joe Farley, Near Chicago
SDR-IQ / R8 / R7
Remote Resonant Loops for HF and LF / ALA 1530
Active 60" Whip / PA0RDT
QSLS appreciated to:    jfarley44@att.net

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: December 06, 2017, 0643 UTC »

It was one of those "brief encounters" - YHD and AA faded up enough for me to find them and when I checked back about 10 minutes or so later, they were buried in the noise. I just got lucky.

When I looked up the two stations in the databases, I was thinking that Dryden, Ontario (YHD) was in southeastern Ontario (closer to Toronto) but it was only after I looked on the map that I realized it's actually in western Ontario, about 150 km from Manitoba and north of Minnesota. That puts it close to the line of axis between Hawaii and Fargo (AA). Had I known at the time, I would have pulled out the NDB beacon map and done some concerted hunting for more signals from that approximate geographic area since I had clearly "struck a vein", so to speak. C'est la vie.

In any case, NDB is kind of interesting. I'll do some more NDB stuff over the coming years while I wait out the HF perturbations and low sunspots....
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: December 06, 2017, 0943 UTC »

It was one of those "brief encounters" - YHD and AA faded up enough for me to find them and when I checked back about 10 minutes or so later, they were buried in the noise. I just got lucky.

When I looked up the two stations in the databases, I was thinking that Dryden, Ontario (YHD) was in southeastern Ontario (closer to Toronto) but it was only after I looked on the map that I realized it's actually in western Ontario, about 150 km from Manitoba and north of Minnesota. That puts it close to the line of axis between Hawaii and Fargo (AA). Had I known at the time, I would have pulled out the NDB beacon map and done some concerted hunting for more signals from that approximate geographic area since I had clearly "struck a vein", so to speak. C'est la vie.

In any case, NDB is kind of interesting. I'll do some more NDB stuff over the coming years while I wait out the HF perturbations and low sunspots....

You will find that at a given time the LW propagation will often favor a certain direction.  Also not unusual for the beacons to fade in and just as quickly fade out.
btw,  made the same incorrect assumption here initially about Dryden when first heard it several years ago...  seemed to me like a city name that belongs in southeast Ontario   ;)
« Last Edit: December 06, 2017, 0948 UTC by pinto vortando »
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan