We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 11 meter/CB Simplex repeaters in the U.S.?  (Read 3425 times)

Finman

11 meter/CB Simplex repeaters in the U.S.?
« on: December 06, 2017, 1725 UTC »
I did a search here and found an excellent list of 11 meter simplex repeaters (posted by the moderator I believe) located in Europe, Russia, etc, but I didn't see any mention of any U.S. based simplex repeaters. Has anyone logged any CB simplex repeaters located here in the U.S.?

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
Re: 11 meter/CB Simplex repeaters in the U.S.?
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2017, 0101 UTC »
I have seen videos on YouTube of people testing CB / 11 meter repeaters in the USA but I haven't found any evidence of a long-term or permanently installed one.  I'm sure they're out there somewhere...with the widespread proliferation of both computer controlled and stand-alone simplex repeater controllers on the market today.

I've seen a couple videos where people set up crossband repeaters using 11 meter frequencies (in FM mode) and the UHF-FM FRS frequencies.  That would be pretty awesome to have setup. 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: December 07, 2017, 1531 UTC »
          I've tried the Radio Shack Speak-Repeat on CB about 17 years ago. All that did was piss off the CB'ers, even after I told them what it was. I thought that it was a neat experiment, but they certainly didn't think so. So, F.T.S.!
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Finman

« Reply #3 on: December 07, 2017, 1554 UTC »
Thanks for the reply.........

A crossband repeater could be trouble, at least in this area. I can imagine the very nasty, foul-mouth, racist transmissions/broadcasts on local CB around here being repeated on the VHF band... ouch!! :o :o :o

I have seen videos on YouTube of people testing CB / 11 meter repeaters in the USA but I haven't found any evidence of a long-term or permanently installed one.  I'm sure they're out there somewhere...with the widespread proliferation of both computer controlled and stand-alone simplex repeater controllers on the market today.

I've seen a couple videos where people set up crossband repeaters using 11 meter frequencies (in FM mode) and the UHF-FM FRS frequencies.  That would be pretty awesome to have setup.

Finman

« Reply #4 on: December 07, 2017, 1604 UTC »
I am surrounded by CB'ers running high powered, overdriven, 1kw+ non-linear amplifiers. Their operations often render the 10 meter band unusable.  If I had a simplex CB repeater that pissed them off. I would tell them to contact the FCC.  ;) ;)

I've tried the Radio Shack Speak-Repeat on CB about 17 years ago. All that did was piss off the CB'ers, even after I told them what it was. I thought that it was a neat experiment, but they certainly didn't think so. So, F.T.S.!

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
« Reply #5 on: December 11, 2017, 1345 UTC »
Thanks for the reply.........

A crossband repeater could be trouble, at least in this area. I can imagine the very nasty, foul-mouth, racist transmissions/broadcasts on local CB around here being repeated on the VHF band... ouch!! :o :o :o

If you used one of the 5 license free MURS (VHF) fequencies available and/or used the non-legalized 22 FRS channels...I don't think anybody would have a problem...especially if you were using MURS or FRS as a linking system to transmit audio into the CB repeater.

O a slightly unrelated note, I've always wanted to install a small FRS simplex repeater on the roofs of one of these big buildings downtown.  Naturally I'd leave it on FRS channel 1 (no CTCSS/DCS/PL/DPL). 
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m