We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Best Daytime Listening For Pirates?  (Read 1948 times)

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
Best Daytime Listening For Pirates?
« on: November 13, 2010, 1932 UTC »
According to my clock, it's 1927UTC. I'm looking for the best range, or most well known range of pirate frequencies for daytime listening. I saw one listing here for 15Mhz I think. So, say from 1500UTC until the grey line passes about 2300UTC during the fall/winter seasons. Once it's time to switch to the evening freqs, 6925Khz is a dead giveaway. Thanks for any commonly known freq listings for daytime usage! 

Offline Zoidberg

• DX Legend
  • Gopher Stomp, Texas
  • i c u
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Best Daytime Listening For Pirates?
« Reply #1 on: November 14, 2010, 0028 UTC »
I haven't seen many show announcements this year for N. American pirates in the freqs that work better in daytime.  If you check the logs from 2007-2009 you'll find a few from WBNY and others who tried daytime broadcasts above the usual sub-7 MHz zone.

There are some Euro pirates who routinely operate in the upper HF regions.  Check the Alfa Lima site forum for logs.  And Iann in France has a chat where you might find some tips to daytime DXing for Euro pirates.
That li'l ol' DXer from Texas
Unpleasant Frequencies Crew
Al: Palstar R30C & various antennae
Snoopy: Sony ICF-2010
Roger: Magnavox D2935
(Off-air recordings.)

Offline Rafman

• DXing Phenomena
  • Virgilina Border
  • Pirate Radio: Radio FUN minus Station Management!!
    • View Profile
    • WirelessDX - Collection of Pirate Radio clips by Rafman K4RAF
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: November 16, 2010, 0323 UTC »
The tendency I have noticed over the years is the use of low [& very high] end of 15MHz/19M 15070KHz.
Similar propagation to the world, like 20M where it is said "the band is always open to somewhere"...
~
Rafman
Onion Flats [Baskerville] VA USA
[All QSLs greatly appreciated: WIFIDX@gmail.com]
Elad FDM-S1&S2 / SDRplay1 & SDRplay2
Mizuho SX59 & SX3 preselectors / JPS ANC4 Noise Phaser
41m EU beverage / 40m loop / 75m CF Zepp / 41m Sloping Dipole
The "Real FCC" http://bit.ly/2lQDNYm

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2010, 2100 UTC »
Most guys use the 6850-6955 range weekends between 12 and 15:00 utc this time of year. I can normally hit much of eastern N.America with just 14 watts and wire antenna in that time frame. It's a nice time to broadcast,conditions are quiet,and you have your pick of the prime frequencies.

The band opens and shuts about an hour earlier during daylight savings time.

Offline Shortwave_America

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: November 20, 2010, 0525 UTC »
Thanks to all of you for the great replies! These sites you linked to were very helpful! What I'm going to try to do is compile as accurate a list as I can of pirate frequencies, stations, contact information and QSL's as I can and throw it up on the Official Shortwave America site. It will make a great resource for SWL's and other interested radio lovers like us.

I'm wanting to do the same for shortwave broadcast stations, etc.