We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: S.C. preacher (Brother Stair) arrested following sexual assault allegations  (Read 5327 times)

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
84? That damned old heathen! If he's convicted, any time at his age will likely be a life sentence. Enjoy those baloney sandwiches for breakfast, lunch, and dinner, Ralph.

Fooling with younger women can kill you once you're over 80. Something my pal Al who is shacked up with those identical cousins should remember. I worry about him.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline BoomboxDX

• View Profile
One thing I don't get -- the guy was a leader of a cult-like organization. Why wasn't he able to find a wife from the harem a bit earlier in life and keep it inside the confines of the relationship like many other religious leaders have been able to do? Being a religious leader, he would have been able to have the pick of women in the organization basically.... This kind of stuff always gets someone into trouble. Didn't he know that? I guess his ego far transcends common sense.
An AM radio Boombox DXer.
+ GE SRIII, PR-D5 & TRF on MW.
The usual Realistic culprits on SW (and a Panasonic).

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
the "Stair Way" to heaven

I see what you did there.  :)
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline R4002

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • R4002 - YouTube Videos
This pretty much seals the deal on his shortwave broadcast career.  Without his “followers” pumping money into the radio fund, the various shortwave outlets will eventually drop his program...

I say this has been a LONG time coming. Stair’s more than another crazy voice on the radio, he’s a creepy old rapist and I’m glad they’ve arrested him. 

I wonder what will happen to his “ministry” and the associated compound/farm now that the “prophet” is out of the picture.
U.S. East Coast, various HF/VHF/UHF radios/transceivers/scanners/receivers - land mobile system operator - focus on VHF/UHF and 11m

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
This pretty much seals the deal on his shortwave broadcast career.  Without his “followers” pumping money into the radio fund, the various shortwave outlets will eventually drop his program...

I say this has been a LONG time coming. Stair’s more than another crazy voice on the radio, he’s a creepy old rapist and I’m glad they’ve arrested him. 

I wonder what will happen to his “ministry” and the associated compound/farm now that the “prophet” is out of the picture.

I hope that you are correct. But, nothing amazes me more sometimes than those people who will continue to support a religious leader, even after the most egregious crimes.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
You better believe they will, SB. There was a character I remember as a kid who went to jail for fraud and messing around with the prettier underage females that turned up at his revival's. (He went after the grown one's, too. He wasn't a total perv, just a hound.) What did he do when he got out? Went back on the circuit in his prison uniform asking for forgiveness as he was "a reformed man."

He came through once post-prison, and as he was winding it up for the night he buckled at the knees and had to be helped to a chair. After he waved off his handlers, he got up and announced to the crowd that he'd just had a message from God, only twenties and above in the collection plates tonight! He got 'em. This was about 1965-'66 when twenty dollars was worth something. The man had gall, I'll give him that.

The flyer's that would go up when he was making his swings through were the best thing. He was pictured in a full old fashioned striped prison uniform, wrists and ankles shackled, Bible in one hand, cap in the other, looking up reverently towards Heaven.

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
One thing I don't get -- the guy was a leader of a cult-like organization. Why wasn't he able to find a wife from the harem a bit earlier in life and keep it inside the confines of the relationship like many other religious leaders have been able to do? Being a religious leader, he would have been able to have the pick of women in the organization basically.... This kind of stuff always gets someone into trouble. Didn't he know that? I guess his ego far transcends common sense.

Another cult leader, David Koresh by name, had it in the cult rules that he was married to just about any woman who joined his cult. This sexual access to multiple women may be the reason why the cult was started to begin with.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Well he did play in couple of local bands where he came from before branching into cults. Most guys join bands to get girls. I figure after the whole Jim Baker thing Dave had a revelation while playing "Whole Lotta Rosie" for 900th time in a chicken wire bar and saw a religious scam as his way to less skanky women and fewer butt kickin's. No one whup's up on God Incarnate.

Offline Chanter

• Madison, WI, U.S.
    • View Profile
Spotted this via Monitoring Times.  I said, "Whoa!" out loud, then quite a few less printable things referencing old Brother Scaryteeth's character, parentage, and... anatomy, or lack thereof.  It is about flip sharding time!  And why do the charges not surprise me all that much?  Gag me with four or five spoons. 

Part of me hopes, given the kind of things he's said on air, that the arresting officer(s) were members of religious group(s) or race(s), or both, that old Missingteeth villifies.  I know that's wicked of me, but...  Justice, you know?  In two senses of the word, even. 

Maybe some of the commercial SW outlets will bounce the old hatemonger off the air now, especially given the charges.  I wish.  Then again, Radio Africa was still playing... what was the guy's name? Alamo? long after he was chucked in prison for similar things, and I've heard, and promptly fled from, at least one fairly recent rebroadcast of Peters.  But a girl can dream of less hate on the airwaves... 

Madison, WI, U.S.A. 
Tecsun PL-660, Yaesu FT60R handheld, and Realistic DX-398 (back up and running!) 
QSL's appreciated 

There's a geeklady turning that dial!
SWLer, MWLer, LW and HF beaconeer, technician class ham, DXer of all bands and program listener. 
RNW forever.

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Maybe some of the commercial SW outlets will bounce the old hatemonger off the air now, especially given the charges.  I wish.  Then again, Radio Africa was still playing... what was the guy's name? Alamo? long after he was chucked in prison for similar things, and I've heard, and promptly fled from, at least one fairly recent rebroadcast of Peters.  But a girl can dream of less hate on the airwaves...

I believe he's gone from WRMI for sure. It's weird going to 25m in the daytime and not seeing 11580 or 11825 there when Stair is supposed to be on. Probably be the same with 5850, 7570, and 7730 at night. I have no idea if anyone else is playing him but the chatter on the various FB pages is that he's not being heard on any of them.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
He was running on a local MW Christian station before this broke, but I haven't tuned through that segment of the band since.

RF moves at the speed of light. Ralph has been on for decades. Al Weiner had his little experiment of beaming signals straight into space last decade, partially full of the Prophet's teachings.

If their is life out there, and they're capable of receiving and deciphering his rants, Ralph has long since reached them. Let's hope he hasn't converted any of them and they don't come looking for him if he's gone. Without the threat of Slim Whitman, we're defenseless.

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
Another cult leader, David Koresh by name, had it in the cult rules that he was married to just about any woman who joined his cult. This sexual access to multiple women may be the reason why the cult was started to begin with.

I think I've just had a message from god......... !!!!!!!

He wants me to start my own church...

:D :D :D :D

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
 :o This croaky old lecher has fooled so many out of what must be millions. He has croaked away on many SW transmitters simultaneously for year. Just came too late to save many people's nest eggs and homes.
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter

HFUnderground Mug
HFUnderground Mug
by MitchellTimeDesigns