We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Looping mp3  (Read 2075 times)

Offline Capt. Kidd

• View Profile
Looping mp3
« on: January 05, 2018, 1902 UTC »
I’m thinking of building an hf beacon and of course one of the main components of that is a device that will loop the same audio over and over again for possibly weeks. Does anyone know of an MP3 player that will loop the same track over and over again?
Broadcasting from nowhere in particular
QSLs accepted at
Ghostshiplive(at)gmail(dot)com

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Looping mp3
« Reply #1 on: January 05, 2018, 1959 UTC »
Guitar players use "loop stations" - play a riff and record on it & it will play it back forever or until you stop it - used for practicing.  Records in mp3 and has headphone output jack and 1/4" phono input jack.  Might work.
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

Offline staticlistener

• south central PA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: January 05, 2018, 2020 UTC »
First thing that popped in my mind is find a used music on hold player like you would use with a phone system to play the hold music, at my job we have some out there that have been going for years nonstop, you can find ones that you just dump a single or even several mp3s onto and they loop forever as long as the power is on.
Shelby Brant
Harrisonville, PA
Icom 718, EAC R-390A
60 ft. endfed wire

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: January 06, 2018, 1846 UTC »
I've seen boxes full of tiny refurbed mp3 players at hamfests that run on a aaa cell, all of them have a loop feature. Surely ebay has some.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 06, 2018, 1932 UTC »
Most of them should have a repeat 1 function.  Maybe repeat all with only one file?

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Capt. Kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2018, 1749 UTC »
First thing that popped in my mind is find a used music on hold player like you would use with a phone system to play the hold music, at my job we have some out there that have been going for years nonstop, you can find ones that you just dump a single or even several mp3s onto and they loop forever as long as the power is on.
I didn’t think of that. I’ll have to see if I can find one
Broadcasting from nowhere in particular
QSLs accepted at
Ghostshiplive(at)gmail(dot)com

Offline John Poet

• Lansing, Michigan, USA
  • I survived the Mad Lagomurph
    • View Profile
    • Free Radio Cafe forums
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: January 09, 2018, 0504 UTC »
Most of them probably won't run very long...

Those with the internal batteries would only be good for a couple hours.  With a AAA battery, maybe 48 hours tops but I don't think that long.  (I've never tried to run a battery down to nothing in one, but that's my guess)

John Poet

"A treasonous voice of dissent"

The Crystal Ship Shortwave
Free Radio Cafe Forums

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: January 09, 2018, 2014 UTC »
In that case you'd rig up a external supply to provide for longevity.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: January 10, 2018, 1729 UTC »
                   Well, when I've come across a device that used little AA, and especially AAA, batteries that don't last worth a crap, I install a D-sized battery holder. Case in point? I have those LCD's digital weather stations, where a remote 433MHz TX operates outside for that temperature reading. I got tired of swapping AAA batteries in those every couple of month, even Li AAA's. So, I installed D-sized in place of that AAA holders. Looks like hell, but BFD, problem solved.
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground House Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns