We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: MFJ-956 question -- or for preselectors in general  (Read 1979 times)

bandarr3000

MFJ-956 question -- or for preselectors in general
« on: January 11, 2018, 2358 UTC »
I am considering getting an MFJ-956.  Does anyone have experience with it?  If so, do the band filters overlap?  In other words, will the 7-30 MHz filter allow me to listen in on 6.9 to 7 MHz?  There is noise around 5.6 MHz I'd like to avoid altogether. Or, can anyone recommend a better preselector?  Thanks.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: MFJ-956 question -- or for preselectors in general
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2018, 0016 UTC »
Did you try eham.net for reviews on the MFJ-956 ?
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

bandarr3000

« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2018, 0152 UTC »
Yes.  Nothing I can find tells me about the frequency ranges for each of the filters.

Offline Traveling Wave

• DX Legend
  • Western N.Y.
  • Nobody told me there'd be days like these
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2018, 0207 UTC »
Radio :TS480 with RTL-SDR pan-adapter, HDSDR software, Omni-Rig Control, Zenith T/O R600,T600
Antenna: 40m dipole, 20-17-15 meter fan dipole. One of N. Tesla's own prototypes. A high-powered mutant of some kind never even considered for mass production.
Knowledge is a deadly friend when no one sets the rules. The fate of all mankind I see is in the hands of fools - from Epitaph by King Crimson
eQSL appreciated KC2ZYL@gmail.com

Offline Fred Smith

• Far NE MD in the Wedge
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2018, 0350 UTC »
Yes they will over lap and probably my quite a bit.
FT-920, SDR Play and others. 80 meter doublet/openwire feed, 80/10 OCFD, 400 BOG  NE/SW unterminated

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2018, 1315 UTC »
Have had the MFJ 956 here for a while and have used it from LW up through HF and it helps in peaking desired signals.  There is some overlap between bands.  Also have the MFJ 1020C and when using it as a preselector find that it does a better job than the 956. 
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan