We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Loop on ground experiment  (Read 1269 times)

Offline IQ_imbalance

• Central MD
    • View Profile
Loop on ground experiment
« on: January 13, 2018, 1612 UTC »
Finally got off my lazy butt and pulled all the pieces together to try a loop-on-ground antenna.  I've got about 60 feet of insulated solid copper wire haphazardly looped around the backyard and feeding into one of the NooElec 1:9 baluns.  Some RG-59 takes that upstairs to the radio and through the BC filter i've posted about before. 

This is probably not the best time of day to mess around with it...but initial impressions are favorable. On 20 meters there's at least one S unit less background, and the birdies don't appear as bad compared to the H-800. 

Looking forward to this evening and seeing what pops up on 41 meters...if it shows good performance there it might be a keeper, and i'll have to figure out some way to do a more permanent install.  That is one where the local wildlife won't run off with my balun and antenna wire.....

LOG/NE-SW unterminated BOG/DJ-130/800Mhz Yagi
AFEDRI SDR-Net ICF-SC1 SDS-200 various RTL-SDR
Central MD

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
Re: Loop on ground experiment
« Reply #1 on: January 14, 2018, 2349 UTC »
Ground conductivity in central MD is rather poor so your loop on ground may perform satisfactorily.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan