We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Kinks and Zombies bassist Jim Rodford dies aged 76  (Read 610 times)

Fansome

Kinks and Zombies bassist Jim Rodford dies aged 76
« on: January 20, 2018, 2058 UTC »
Kinks and Zombies bassist Jim Rodford dies aged 76

20 January 2018

The Kinks bassist Jim Rodford has died at the age of 76.

The British musician, who spent 18 years with the band from 1979, also played with Argent and The Zombies.

His cousin and fellow bandmate, Rod Argent, paid tribute on Facebook to the "magnificent bass player", who died following a fall on the stairs.

He also highlighted his commitment to the music scene in St Albans where he had lived all his life, playing with family members in The Rodford Files.

"He gave us absolutely unflagging commitment, loyalty and unbelievable energy... Our gratitude is beyond measure," Argent said.

"To the end, Jim's life was dedicated to music," Argent continued, in a lengthy tribute posted on Saturday. "He will be unbelievably missed."

The Kinks' Dave Davies paid tribute to his former colleague, who played with the band between 1979 and 1993, writing that he was "devastated by Jim's sudden loss".

"I'm too broken up to put words together, it's such a shock, I always thought Jim would live forever in true rock and roll fashion - strange - great friend, great musician, great man - he was an integral part of the Kinks later years. RIP," he wrote on Twitter.

I’m devastated Jim’s sudden loss I’m too broken up to put words together it’s such a shock i always thought Jim would live forever in true rock and roll fashion - strange - great friend great musician great man - he was an integral part of theKinks later years RIP #JimRodford pic.twitter.com/rL5vAuuVwp
    — Dave Davies (@davedavieskinks) January 20, 2018

Rodford was playing with The Bluetones when his cousin, Argent, first asked him to join his then-band The Zombies, alongside singer Colin Blunstone.

Rodford declined, but Argent in his Facebook tribute said he was "inextricably bound to the story of The Zombies" and credited him as being "an enormous enabler" for the band who went on to have a major US hit with She's Not There in 1964.

After a stint with the Mike Cotton Sound, the bassist did eventually agree to join his cousin as a founding member of Argent, who are best remembered for the songs Hold Your Head Up and God Gave Rock and Roll to You.

After the band split in 1976, Rodford was recruited by the Kinks after the departure of John Dalton, performing on every album from 1979's Low Budget to 1993's Phobia.

"It is with deep sadness that we have learned that Jim Rodford passed away - he toured and recorded with the Kinks for many years and will be greatly missed. He was much loved by all of us," said an official statement from the Kinks on Twitter.

It is with deep sadness that we have learned that Jim Rodford passed away - he toured and recorded with the Kinks for many years and will be greatly missed. He was much loved by all of us #JimRodford https://t.co/LmWFGd9ZRV
    — TheKinksOfficial (@TheKinks) January 20, 2018

Rodford joined the revived Zombies in 1999 alongside his son, drummer Steve Rodford, touring until his death, most recently in Florida.