We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: 80M dasher? 3549.98 KHz @ 0545Z  (Read 1297 times)

Offline cwguy

• View Profile
80M dasher? 3549.98 KHz @ 0545Z
« on: February 06, 2018, 0611 UTC »
Checked the SKCC page late this evening and was browsing the comments, and one guy in MO posted "Our signal is back on 3549.98".  I was curious so I tuned in there and sure enough I heard a dasher of sorts - a short dasher every 5 secs or so.  Rather weak, some qsb but consistently in there.  I asked him how long he had heard it and he said he had it 40 minutes earlier, then tuned off to do something else and came back and it was still there.  Also reported hearing it "sometime last week".

This was very beacon-like, not a guy on a key or keyer.  I listened for maybe 10 minutes before it went off the air around 0550z (or simply faded out altogether).

I hear things from time to time on the ham bands which make me stop and verify that I'm not hearing things (things that sounds like beacons but aren't) - however, as this was heard before, I'll check this freq from time to time.  BTW, 3550 KHz is also the SKCC 80M calling freq.
IC-7200, TS-430S, Multiband Dipole @ 40'
Colo Front Range
ZUT!

Offline Strange Beacons

• Naples, Florida USA
    • View Profile
    • Strange Beacons Website
Re: 80M dasher? 3549.98 KHz @ 0545Z
« Reply #1 on: February 06, 2018, 1959 UTC »
I hear things from time to time on the ham bands which make me stop and verify that I'm not hearing things (things that sounds like beacons but aren't)

Love the way that you put this. And yes, I do exactly the same thing, hear things that sound like beacons but are just odd enough to warrant further investigation. That is half of the fun.

Curt / W9SPY