We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Another source of QRM! This time from a KitchenAid mixer  (Read 2347 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Another source of QRM! This time from a KitchenAid mixer
« on: February 06, 2018, 2244 UTC »
8x10 color glossy photos with circles and arrows and a paragraph on the back of each one explaining what each one was to be used as evidence against the mixer: http://www.radiohobbyist.org/blog/?p=2483
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
Re: Another source of QRM! This time from a KitchenAid mixer
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 1309 UTC »
Well, Officer Obie, stop buying those fancy new appliances! The Amish don't get RFI from hand kneading their bread.  ;D
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline ThElectriCat

• Hillsboro OR
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2018, 1752 UTC »
If any of you guys have a neighbor down the street with that sweet ride from the 1950s, chrome bumpers, bright red, 600 horsepower, you know the one. well, it also has a totally unshielded/ unsuppressed ignition system, which will light up my spectrum analyzer noise floor about 20 db when he drives by. totally obliterates any chance of hearing DX below 500 Kilocycles. Even the close by DGPS beacons are gone
In another life, I could have been a telephone engineer.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2018, 1928 UTC »
Nothing like alternator noise to ruin an evening of pirate radio listening.

A road going out in the country runs by my house. You start hearing the noise on a vehicle with a bad alternator about a 1/4 mile away on the radio and notice the Doppler effect as it goes by and fades.

The absolute worst things are blow dryers. They spew RF far and wide.

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2018, 1424 UTC »

The absolute worst things are blow dryers. They spew RF far and wide.

The house circuit breaker load center is located in the shack a convenient arm reach from the operating position.  The XYL says her hair dryer sometimes suddenly fails for no apparent reason.
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2018, 1836 UTC »
Well, Officer Obie, stop buying those fancy new appliances! The Amish don't get RFI from hand kneading their bread.  ;D

Shhh, don't speak on the secret Amish technology. Theirs is a tech that goes beyond even steam radio, to wooden.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline Capt. Kidd

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 13, 2018, 0445 UTC »
If any of you guys have a neighbor down the street with that sweet ride from the 1950s, chrome bumpers, bright red, 600 horsepower, you know the one. well, it also has a totally unshielded/ unsuppressed ignition system, which will light up my spectrum analyzer noise floor about 20 db when he drives by. totally obliterates any chance of hearing DX below 500 Kilocycles. Even the close by DGPS beacons are gone
Based on my hot rodding high school years it sounds like an MSD ignition system. I had one on a truck I had and both am and cb radio sounded like a machine gun every time I put my foot down. Which was a lot
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 0450 UTC by Capt. Kidd »
Broadcasting from nowhere in particular
QSLs accepted at
Ghostshiplive(at)gmail(dot)com

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: February 13, 2018, 2031 UTC »
If you take a high amp msd unit and feed it a sparkplug mounted at the focal point of a small dish antenna, you could stop any rfi noisemakers daring to tread too closely. That is, if they had a computer controlling their engine. Also, be careful where you point that thing.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.

Offline skeezix

• Global Moderator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Minneapolis, MN
  • What does 'RNO stand for?
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 25, 2018, 0206 UTC »
Fortunately she doesn’t use it that often, and she’s testing out a new low carb dough recipe, so I can live with it.

Low carb food is good, but so is low RFI food.

By chance does that mixer have an FCC ID with it? Perhaps its violating Part 15 rules, and could "pose a hazard to the community by interfering with public safety frequencies."
Minneapolis, MN