We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: HAARP 6300 KHz 20 Dec 2017 0747 UTC ?  (Read 2280 times)

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
HAARP 6300 KHz 20 Dec 2017 0747 UTC ?
« on: February 07, 2018, 0910 UTC »
I am not exactly sure which SDR I was using at the time but based upon the similar modulation patterns that I have seen on YouTube videos, I'm assuming that this is probably HAARP. Does that seem right?

Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline Token

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
    • View Profile
Re: HAARP 6300 KHz 20 Dec 2017 0747 UTC ?
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2018, 2130 UTC »
For future reference you might want to include more detail in your screen shots.  I am specifically thinking about the frequency scale in this shot.  Are each graduation 1 kHz?  Or are they 5 or 10 kHz?  Without another number in there someplace it is hard to tell.

With that said I suspect each graduation is 10 kHz for a couple of reasons.  It looks like there is some Link 11 on the left side of the image, and that should be over 2 kHz wide, and the marking that says WLO US, that should be around 6316 kHz while XSQ China should be around 6314 kHz.

So that might make this signal +/- 10 kHz wide plus audio harmonics of the modulation.  That certainly is very HARP like.  However it could also be a broadcaster testing his transmitter with stepped audio tones.

I am reasonably certain this is not HAARP.

I believe HAARP has been operating under the license of WI2XFX and WI2XDV.  For sure WI2XFX has frequency limitations that would preclude this frequency, and I think WI2XDV has mode restrictions that would make it a poor candidate also.  Since HAARP restarted all confirmed high power operations have fallen within the frequencies defined for use by WI2XFX.

And that leads us to the next point, HAARP activities since it restarted have been fairly well documented in social media.  The last known activities were in Sep of 2017, and the next projected activity (at that time) in 2018.  So it is probable HAARP would not have been active on the date of your image.

Another option would be Arecibo, they use similar waveforms.  However their feeds are centered on 5125 kHz and 8175 kHz, and they tend to stay pretty close to those freqs, plus or minus a bit.  While Arecibo did have operations scheduled at that time (check here  http://www.naic.edu/vscience/schedule/image/Dec_17_17.html ) it appears they were on UHF frequencies then, not HF.

So it is just a guess on my part, but I don’t think this was HAARP or Arecibo.  I would strongly suspect someone else doing transmitter checks with stepped tones that just happen to look like HAARP, or another ionospheric heater similar to HAARP or Arecibo.  If it is another heater there are many possible sources, remembering what RX you were using at the time might narrow it down a bit.

T!
« Last Edit: February 07, 2018, 2214 UTC by Token »
T!
Mojave Desert, California USA

Offline KaySeeks

• DX Legend
  • Quebec. Vive la différence.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 11, 2018, 1046 UTC »
For future reference you might want to include more detail in your screen shots. 

Fair enough. I wasn't planning on posting it or even researching it at the time so wasn't concentrating on the details.

With that said I suspect each graduation is 10 kHz for a couple of reasons.

Seems right.

If it is another heater there are many possible sources, remembering what RX you were using at the time might narrow it down a bit.

Possibly KA7U in western Idaho but I am not at all sure.
Just somebody with a radio, a computer and a pair of headphones...

Offline Josh

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 11, 2018, 2108 UTC »
If that's tadil in the screencap you can guesstimate the bandwidths at least.
We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations.