We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: A 1 Kw output broadband package  (Read 3178 times)

Offline digitalmod

• Cherokee Foot Hills, SC
  • Freedom includes Radio Broadcasting
    • View Profile
    • Email
A 1 Kw output broadband package
« on: February 12, 2018, 1857 UTC »
 ;D The engineers showed this design way back in 2005, no longer front line.
They also instead of toroids (labor intensive) they designed PC board coaxial matching. They also ran the pallet at full bore 1 kw at FM band frequencies switch between the two worst load scenarios that BLOW and explode systems. That is NO load (open) and short circuit. The damn thing kept pumping.
Drive for 1 kw out was 5 watts, they warned on could blow the system by OVER DRIVE !!
Technology way better than I ever thought!
http://www.pcs-electronics.com/1000w-planar-pallet-blf188xr-p-2355.html
Radio is dying. We need to give it shelter

Online redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: A 1 Kw output broadband package
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2018, 1901 UTC »
Buy something from broadcast concepts.  Their stuff at least works, and its made here.

http://broadcastconcepts.com/MRF1K50h.html

Who wants FM anyway?  I ran high power pirates for years on FM and the reward certainly wasn't worth the risk, and that was ten years ago.  No one searches the FM band looking for something to listen to, not like the 80's anyway.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 12, 2018, 1930 UTC »

Offline digitalmod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #3 on: February 12, 2018, 2106 UTC »
  The point here, I think, is the amp is broadband and will produce Kw plus 1.7-Fm bands. Just Driver protection and of course clean the bands with harmonic LPF. The class C mod is said 80 percent efficient at VHF. I would expect same HF.
If it could do kw peak, then surely it will do 300 watts fully modulated AM.
Now here is another FET miracle amp with 5 watts it pushes 1.7 kw.
The demo person shows power on Bird watt meter Vs a Chinese watt meter. Well, they seem right on.
So Class E Be fine if you are a high power licensed station, because the electric utility bills are quite a bit less with 50Kw output.
But , again the technology is there for trade offs and choices.
BTW I have several BCE Bricks.. one does 300 watts and it runs stone cold, drives with 1 watt.
I assume it has to be class E design, but its not a new amplifier, had it in closet for ten years.

Go here:  https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5nYH-bdt_iw

Online redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 12, 2018, 2149 UTC »
Yes, but who wants to do AM at 100 Mhz?  I don't get the point of you posting all this amp pallet stuff.  I can read NXP's LDMOS portfolio just as well as the next guy.

WHY DON'T YOU JUST BUILD SOMETHING FOR CHRIST'S SAKE.

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 12, 2018, 2205 UTC »
Yep, I'm fed up with the idle waffle

I will ignore future posts.

Str.

'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2018, 2229 UTC »
 ???
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline digitalmod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2018, 2325 UTC »
 Oh dear the house of cranky old men.  :P
That said, keep the ego in place mates. I posted for information only, since coming into the area I think construction is really my first love. However, being outside RF for at least 12 years, I am shazammed by material sciences and what its brought forth.
Recall fifty years ago a 600 watts AM transmitter would fill a garage.
Peace Bros ;D
« Last Edit: February 13, 2018, 0105 UTC by digitalmod »

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: February 13, 2018, 1957 UTC »
Oh dear the house of cranky old men.  :P
That said, keep the ego in place mates. I posted for information only, since coming into the area I think construction is really my first love. However, being outside RF for at least 12 years, I am shazammed by material sciences and what its brought forth.
Recall fifty years ago a 600 watts AM transmitter would fill a garage.
Peace Bros ;D

Ain't that the truth. A friend who lives by himself on a farm will take anything you want to give him. In the early part of this century someone gave him a disassembled old water cooled MW 5kW transmitter. I want to say it was a post war Collins, but it's been nearly 20 years ago? That thing nearly filled the old tobacco barn it was stashed in. He never got it running and sold it a few years later. Who knows where it's at now?

Offline digitalmod

• View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2018, 0023 UTC »
 Well, Pigmeat, here is the logic. Do you want the freedom to switch between SSB or AM? Well, yes. That could mean a class AB/C switch or just a big heat sink to take the calories. Class E and D are indeed interesting to a newbie engineer type who wants to play on the bench. Yes, advances are HEAT less . The Baseband for any mode on shortwave unless we are talking a digital mode and if that be the case a BIG BAD linear amp will be needed.

If you are an equal lover of broadcast and engineering, after some thought and not wanting to REINVENT the wheel. I would choose a BIG BAD high gain FET (low drive) broadband amp. The exciter would be a DDS low power am or SSB exciter, 10 watts, or less with a pad to adjust drive.
BIG OLD BAD 100 volt or so DC powersupply. And you are set. There are predesigned FET amps with heat sinks in the KW range unfinished except for enclosure, harmonic filter and what ever else you want to throw inside the case.
An easy 250 watts HIgh FI am transmitter is born. Its NOT rocket science. Let the hard part be done by somebody else and not you because you will spend months just reinventing the donkey cart. :-X