We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Anyone Remember The "Kilo Whiskey" group?  (Read 1552 times)

Finman

Anyone Remember The "Kilo Whiskey" group?
« on: February 13, 2018, 1558 UTC »
Any old folks out there (like me) remember the KW SSB group out of Long Island back in the 1970's?

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Anyone Remember The "Kilo Whiskey" group?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2018, 0000 UTC »
Yes I do, but only because my Uncle had a QSL from one of those guys stuck on the bulletin board above his desk in his shack.

Man, that's from back in the days when everyone used their given FCC calls and hid their modified ham rigs and linear's when "Uncle Charlie" was in town. My Uncle had a "Big Gun" buddy whose Johnson Viking had a secret compartment he built in the wall
behind his operating desk. The FCC chased him for years due to the fact he was local radio personality. Catching one of those guys was like trophy hunting for the FCC.

When Nixon gave us the 55 mph speed limit and everyone and his brother bought a CB to avoid the law those days were done almost overnight.

Finman

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2018, 1747 UTC »
Ah yes... "uncle Charlie" or the Federal Candy Company...  ;D..

I was on CB for brief time during the 70's. We all had handles, no "legal" callsigns were used. Very few would dare to use a linear.

I had my novice license at the time....liked CB because I could use voice instead of just CW on the ham bands. Upgraded my license, dumped the chicken band ops.

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2018, 2136 UTC »
I got into it about 1970 when my Uncle did. He lived a couple of hundred yards away, I was the same age as his son. I'd screw around w/ his base station and the rig we had in our truck. When he got the DX-60, I got the back-up base station, a mid -60's Regency with a ginormous tuning knob. (Fansome would faint at the sight of that baby!)

It was essentially all handles then. The only time I heard them used was when the FCC was in town. Then the speed limit thing made the CB regs go "Kaboom!" in under a year. Once you open Pandora's box she gives it away to everyone.