We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Simple (Auto) SWR/PWR meter  (Read 2049 times)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
Simple (Auto) SWR/PWR meter
« on: February 15, 2018, 1836 UTC »
Def worth a mention...

Got one to recommend to purchases of my TX's and was most interested to see the response supposedly worked down to 1.6MHz.

I also sell a 3W carrier MW TX and was hoping it worked as low down as 1.4MHz, well it does giving the correct SWR & power readings.

Normal (CB type) SWR meters haven't got enough sensitivity to work at low frequencies without transmittting 20W or so (have tried).

So this device is ideal and doesn't need calibrating, just plug in-line and Transmit thru' it, Simples...

Digital Power & SWR Meter RED DOT 1.6~60 mhz 2017A 199W

Str.
'It's better to give than receive' so why Rx when you can Tx!

;)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
Re: Simple (Auto) SWR/PWR meter
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2018, 0321 UTC »
What's the lowest power level they'll measure? I could see the Ham Qrp'er's going nuts for something that measures from microwatts up.

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2018, 0936 UTC »
Micro what's!!

Why be concerned with VSWR at those power levels?

It's fine with 3W at 1.5MHz, that does it for me.

For piddle power just use a resistive bridge and amplify the results, so simple, that's why no one is making them I guess.

;)

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: February 16, 2018, 2156 UTC »
You're dealing with hams who want accuracy at the click of a button. None of that math stuff for them. They used to use the test strips from packs of Energizer batteries to guesstimate those micro power levels until the Energizer folks discontinued the strips.

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2018, 1721 UTC »
    I know that AM Part #15'ers would love a micro power / VSWR meter for the radiating measurements of 100mW, and less. And even the Carrier-Current measurement of 30W, and less, is useful.  There's the Greek dude at PLL.gr with this meter,   http://www.pll.gr/product?pid=PWR-SWR-Meter   , which I want to get. However, to measure the really low power on the MW FREQ's, what's out there? Yeah, no doubt that you could make one, and even modify a CB unit to go there, but then calibrate it right. Why have this at flea-power? Efficiency. Why put out, when you find later that you can't get out?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline Clutter Free

• Space
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2018, 1310 UTC »
Hi Stretchyman.

Cheers for this. Have you tested it any lower in frequency? say 1125Khz  ;)

Offline Stretchyman

• View Profile
« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2018, 1656 UTC »
No, just down to 1.4.

It will be fine I'm sure.

Str.

;)

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns