We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Radio Algerienne 252 KHZ  (Read 2365 times)

Offline XN

• Texas Hill Country
    • View Profile
Radio Algerienne 252 KHZ
« on: February 28, 2018, 0340 UTC »
0330Z Radio Algerienne 252 KHZ, Central Texas. I could hear the audio for about a half hour, but it rose up out of the noise enough to get  a serviceable copy with an IC-746 PRO and 120' LW. M&F speaking French about Algeria, Niger and other African countries. I went to their online stream and sure enough it was the same. I originally suspected "Radio 252" from Ireland but the French threw me. A first for me.
Winradio Excalibur
Grundig Satellit 800,
SDRPlay2 - SDRUno
Icom IC-746 Pro
Drake R-8
Sony ICF-2010 + other portables
Par EF-SWL,
120' LW, 50' random wire
JPS ANC-4, MFJ-616 Speech Enhancer

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
Re: Radio Algerienne 252 KHZ
« Reply #1 on: March 01, 2018, 0113 UTC »
Congrats, that is a nice catch from Texas!  252 was fair here last night, was much better about a month ago.  I had zero copy of any other LW broadcasters last night, not even carriers.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.

Offline XN

• Texas Hill Country
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 01, 2018, 0130 UTC »
Thanks. I'm not a big LW chaser, but I hop around the bands. The Icom 746 is desensitized below HF so I was doubly surprised. I copied a NDB down in the Cayman Islands (Cayman Brac) as well as number around the states and Canada while I was tuning around. After reading some of the other postings, I realized that Algeria is a fairly common catch
Winradio Excalibur
Grundig Satellit 800,
SDRPlay2 - SDRUno
Icom IC-746 Pro
Drake R-8
Sony ICF-2010 + other portables
Par EF-SWL,
120' LW, 50' random wire
JPS ANC-4, MFJ-616 Speech Enhancer

Offline pinto vortando

• View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 01, 2018, 1243 UTC »
Thanks. I'm not a big LW chaser, but I hop around the bands. The Icom 746 is desensitized below HF so I was doubly surprised. I copied a NDB down in the Cayman Islands (Cayman Brac) as well as number around the states and Canada while I was tuning around. After reading some of the other postings, I realized that Algeria is a fairly common catch

Algeria, nice one !  Difficult at my QTH due to high noise floor hr in the evening.

Yes, unfortunately many transceivers and even some general coverage receivers have less sensitivity below 160 meters.  This is done intentionally to avoid receiver overloading from strong AM BCB stations.  You can work around it somewhat by employing a better antenna specifically tailored for MW and LW and/or using an external preselector (just don't TX into the preselector  :o).

Lots of Canadian NDBs heard here right next door in Michigan (check out the "Take Off to the Great White North" thread in this forum)...  just curious, wondering which Canadians you are hearing in Texas ? 
« Last Edit: March 01, 2018, 1248 UTC by pinto vortando »
Das Radiobunker somewhere in Michigan

Offline refmo

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Northeast Kentucky
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 17, 2018, 0111 UTC »
Good signal from Algeria tonight @ 0210 with dance/rave tunes.
Only other LWBC I hear is some weak audio on 234khz.
Northeast Kentucky
Please eQSL to refmo[at]outlook[dot]com
Radios: Afedri AFE822x, Airspy HF+, RX-888, RSPdx, Tecsun PL880
Antennas: 700' Loop Skywire, Wellbrook ALA1530LN Loop, 400' Beverage, 34' Vertical, low dipoles on upper bands.