We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: What are people using for a web browser these days?  (Read 2453 times)

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
What are people using for a web browser these days?
« on: March 08, 2018, 2012 UTC »
I'm getting tired of Firefox, it seems like they've lost their way.

Text only would be nice for some things, like news sites.

Thoughts?

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: What are people using for a web browser these days?
« Reply #1 on: March 08, 2018, 2027 UTC »
All web browsers are broken.

That said, I use Safari and Chrome, and sometimes Firefox. I usually have all three open, because some sites behave better on certain browsers.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline TheRelayStation

• 5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
    • View Profile
    • Live Streaming
    • Email
« Reply #2 on: March 08, 2018, 2045 UTC »
my preference is FF 64 bit with "ABP", "NoScript", "Native HLS Playback", "User-Agent Switcher" & "Video DownloadHelper" with a custom LAN BIND DNS server (http://pgl.yoyo.org/as/serverlist.php?hostformat=bindconfig) configured to redirect known advertisement/bad domains to a custom LAN hosted web page.
5150 Khz AM 60W Hack RF
shortwavepirate@aol.com
https://vaughn.live/cabletv

Offline taschenrechner

• Я робот. Я работаю на заводе.
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: March 10, 2018, 0009 UTC »
Sometimes I open a terminal window and use lynx. You're right. Sometimes text only is pretty great.

For most times (like right now), I use Chromium. I have Opera too, but I'm just too familiar with others that I don't use it as much. It's a good browser though.
Airspy HF+ Discovery, Youloop.  SDR++, GQRX,
QSL to: kj4wna@gmail.com

Offline the_rog

• View Profile
« Reply #4 on: March 10, 2018, 0111 UTC »
For a few months I've been using a browser called Brave.  It's based loosely on Chrome.  Best part is, it has a menu in the upper right hand corner that's available on all websites that allows you to customize what individual sites are allowed to do.  Generally, when a website is slow to load, I will set the page to block all scripts.  It's amazing how fast pages load without scripting. 

Offline Azimuth Coordinator

• Listen for Us on 4185 Khz or 5185 Khz
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #5 on: March 10, 2018, 0154 UTC »
Some apps I use only work with Internet Explorer.  but I normally use Firefox.   Where is Netscape when you need them. 
QTH: A Clandestine location on the East Coast
Watkins Johnson WJ-8716, WJ-8718A, WJ-8618B
Radio.Illuminati6150@Gmail.com

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #6 on: March 10, 2018, 1616 UTC »
Where is Netscape when you need them.

Or Mosaic, even older. I remember browsing on Linux with command line Lynx.

Today it is 100% Chrome unless I am forced to use IE for a specific site.
- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 10, 2018, 1740 UTC »
I don't go near Windows anymore ;D and I tried Crome when it first came out but there was no way to fix the colors so it was useless to me. I use Firefox on Linux Lite because it has dark themes available and it costs the same as my computers 8)
And I don't use Google, I use DuckDuckGo ;D
« Last Edit: March 10, 2018, 1852 UTC by JimIO »

Offline ThaDood

• DX Legend
  • Likely, not where you are.
    • View Profile
    • Extreme Part #15!
    • Email
« Reply #8 on: March 11, 2018, 1704 UTC »
     Using Ubuntu 14.02, Firefox still seems to work fairly well with that, especial on this old 13" MacBook. I don't like internet exploder either. I won't touch Chrome-dome. Safari was a neat alternative years ago, I still have an older version that can run on my Dell 531S Inspiron with WIN VISTA, but now run Firefox mostly on that one as well and dual boot it with Ubuntu as well. And my search engine? Startpage,   https://www.startpage.com/   I won't oogly-googly anything anymore. Yeah, if there was another nice alternative to Firefox, I'd like to try it, but I'd have to ask myself, an alternative compared to what?
I was asked, yet another weird question, of how I would like to be buried, when I finally bite the big one. The answer was actually pretty easy. Face-down, like a certain historical figure in the late 1980's, (I will not mention who, but some of you will get it, and that's enough.) Why??? It would be a burial that will satisfy everyone: (1) My enemies will say that it will show me where to go. (2) On the same point, I can have my enemies kiss my butt. (3) It will temporarily give someone a place to park a bicycle. See??? A WIN / WIN for everyone.

Offline JimIO

• QTH I.O. MA
    • View Profile
« Reply #9 on: March 11, 2018, 2008 UTC »
     Using Ubuntu 14.02, Firefox still seems to work fairly well with that, especial on this old 13" MacBook. I don't like internet exploder either. I won't touch Chrome-dome. Safari was a neat alternative years ago, I still have an older version that can run on my Dell 531S Inspiron with WIN VISTA, but now run Firefox mostly on that one as well and dual boot it with Ubuntu as well. And my search engine? Startpage,   https://www.startpage.com/   I won't oogly-googly anything anymore. Yeah, if there was another nice alternative to Firefox, I'd like to try it, but I'd have to ask myself, an alternative compared to what?

That startpage.com may end up being that for me. I put it right under DuckDuckGo in my Favorites and will test it for a few days. Thanks.