We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Some HFU / Server Updates and News  (Read 1625 times)

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Some HFU / Server Updates and News
« on: March 13, 2018, 2058 UTC »
Ryver has decided to switch to a $99/mo service.  With the help of Beerus (thank you!) we now have a RocketChat service running right here on the HFU.

This is the URL to the chat: http://hfunderground.com:3000/

You will need to create an account.

There are also RocketChat clients for Windows, Mac, Linux, iOS, and Android: https://rocket.chat/download

Documentation for RocketChat is here: https://rocket.chat/docs/user-guides/messaging/

For the time being, please refrain from posting large numbers of unnecessary images, until we get storage and auto-deletion of old content sorted out.

Also, there could be outages while we get things finalized. Thank you for your patience.
« Last Edit: March 15, 2018, 1126 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
eQSLs appreciated! csmolinski@blackcatsystems.com
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
Re: Ryver is dead, long live RocketChat
« Reply #1 on: March 14, 2018, 0038 UTC »
Hello. Nice work finding a new option so quickly. I just want to bring to your attention that currently the browser connection isn't secure. Thanks!
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Ryver is dead, long live RocketChat
« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2018, 1127 UTC »
Hello. Nice work finding a new option so quickly. I just want to bring to your attention that currently the browser connection isn't secure. Thanks!

Yes, that is on the to do list. 
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD
netSDR / AFE822x / AirSpy HF+ / KiwiSDR / 900 ft Horz skyloop / 500 ft NE beverage / 250 ft V Beam / 58 ft T2FD / 120 ft T2FD / 400 ft south beverage / 43m, 20m, 10m  dipoles / Crossed Parallel Loop / Discone in a tree

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
Re: Some HFU / Server Updates and News
« Reply #3 on: March 15, 2018, 1219 UTC »
RocketChat was down briefly this morning, I think from about 0938 to 0955 when I noticed it was down, and restarted it.

Running the chat adds a bit of a load to the server, so I have upgraded to a larger linode. It's a bit more out of my pocket each month, but I think it will help with the stability, and speed things up overall. I just finished the upgrade and migration of data this morning, so if you were wondering why the website was down for about an hour this morning, that's the reason.

We're also looking at a different chat system, called MatterMost. We have a test copy of it running now, this link can be used to create an account, and play around with it: http://hfunderpants.com:8065/signup_user_complete/?id=a68mmyuf5jyxxeimwj5xmz56ao

I don't want to use MatterMost for several reasons, so I have turned off that server.

I understand that changing the online chat system is disruptive. In the case of Ryver, we really didn't have much of a choice leaving, I don't think we can justify paying about $1K a year to run it. I certainly can't.  I suggest we try out these two other systems (RocketChat and MatterMost) and we can decide which we prefer. Or even try another  ;D

Now that we have alternative(s), we don't have a deadline as to making the choice, when our Ryver chat disappears at the end of the month.  For the present, consider RocketChat to be the "official" chat system. The Ryver chat still exists and will until the end of the month. I will change the link here on the HFU to direct people to RocketChat.

Thanks for your patience while we sort things out.
« Last Edit: March 16, 2018, 1347 UTC by ChrisSmolinski »
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline Rob.

• View Profile
    • N1NTE KiwiSDR online
« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2018, 1710 UTC »
Thank you for all the effort keeping it running for all of us.

- Rob

CT/MA border
Email: n1nte.rob@gmail.com
KiwiSDR (x4) online - http://sigmasdr.ddns.net:8073/
ΣSDR Blog - https://n1nte.blogspot.com/

Offline ChrisSmolinski

• Administrator
  • Marconi Class DXer
  • Westminster, MD USA
    • View Profile
    • Black Cat Systems
« Reply #5 on: March 15, 2018, 2228 UTC »
One update, the Rocket.Chat iOS app seems to require SSL, so it will not work with the site. The Android app may be the same. You should be able to connect to the chat via your device's web browser, however.

I've looked into adding SSL to the chat. It is possible, but not trivial, so it's not at the top of the list right now.
Chris Smolinski
Westminster, MD

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #6 on: March 25, 2018, 1427 UTC »
The chat is not yet secure. ETA for this please? Thanks.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail