We seek to understand and document all radio transmissions, legal and otherwise, as part of the radio listening hobby. We do not encourage any radio operations contrary to regulations. Always consult with the appropriate authorities if you have questions concerning what is permissible in your locale.

Author Topic: Sad news regarding Captain Eddy  (Read 3135 times)

JoeFLIPS

Sad news regarding Captain Eddy
« on: March 19, 2018, 1551 UTC »
Some of you may remember Captain Eddy and the popular pirate Radio Airplane from the early 1990’s. He was involved in a terrible motorcycle accident about a week ago and the outcome doesn’t look good. I saw this posted on Facebook and wanted to share what has happened. I met John at the Winter SWL Fest in 1997 along with Kirk Trummel who tragically passed away from cancer not too long after the Fest. John and Kirk were best of friends. My thoughts and prayers go out to John and his family.

http://www.joplinglobe.com/news/crime_and_courts/joplin-man-injured-in-motorcycle-crash/article_718da2ad-2bfc-5335-8c3d-447310349934.html

[/To all my Facebook friends and family, please pray for my cousin John Cruzan.  He  was in a motorcycle accident and suffered many broken bones. His heart stopped beating shortly after they took him off the ventilator and he now has irreversible brain damage.  He is back on a ventilator and unresponsive. Our family would appreciate all your thoughts and prayers. Thank you so much.b]

https://sites.google.com/site/napiratehof/2013-inductees/the-radio-airplane

Offline redhat

• DX Legend
  • USA
  • Music is my drug.
    • View Profile
    • Email
Re: Sad news regarding Captain Eddy
« Reply #1 on: March 19, 2018, 1619 UTC »
Yuck, I always hated riding on gravel roads, especially with a street bike.  I hope he pulls through!

+-RH
Somewhere under the stars...
Airspy HF+, MLA-30/Mini-whip/Chi-Town Loop
Please send QSL's and reception reports to xfmshortwave [at] proton [d0t] me

Offline jta

• View Profile
« Reply #2 on: March 19, 2018, 1846 UTC »
This is terrible news; JC has been involved in the Free Radio scene for a long time. He founded what was then the FRN BBS, and later migrated it to the internet.

I met John several times (including at the Fest) and always enjoyed talking to him. He certainly deserves a better fate than this.

You are in my thoughts, John. jta

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #3 on: March 19, 2018, 2144 UTC »
The latest update I saw about John.

Here's the latest post from Jim Caldwell....
from about 5pm today...

Update on John Cruzan. I just returned to Joplin from visiting John at Mercy Hospital in Springfield. John is still in ICU and unconscious. We talked to John a lot during the visit and when you talk to him his blood pressure goes up and he tries really hard to open his eyes. I truly believe that he can hear us. They really don't know the extent of the damage that was done the five minutes when his heart was not beating and he was not getting oxygen. Time will tell. They are not really sure why his heart stopped but could possibly be the stress and trauma along with sleep apnea. If he is stable enough he will have surgery on his left arm tomorrow to repair the break and then hopefully soon get a trach and a feeding tube in. Hopefully he will be stable enough sometime in the next week to move to Landmark Hospital in Joplin. Please continue to pray and thank you so much for your prayers! The family really appreciates the outpouring of love and prayers!
« Last Edit: March 19, 2018, 2150 UTC by JoeFLIPS »

Offline fpeconsultant

• DX Legend
  • I miss "Up Against the Wall Radio"...
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #4 on: March 19, 2018, 2230 UTC »
Thoughts & prayers for a true pioneer.
FPE
Near Chicago, IL USA.  Drake R8, Ten-Tec RX340, JRC NRD545, Watkins Johnson HF-1000, Wellbrook loop at 28', 43m inverted vee.  Please QSL to fpeconsultant@aol.com thanks.

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #5 on: March 20, 2018, 0113 UTC »
Another update from a Facebook post.

Update on John Cruzan. John is scheduled to have surgery tomorrow morning to get a trach, feeding tube and possibly get his left arm repaired. Landmark Hospital in Joplin now has a bed ready and waiting for him and we are hoping to get him moved to Joplin Wednesday or Thursday. They were able to get his fever under control but he is still unconscious. Thank you for your prayers. Jim Caldwell

Offline Sealord

• Global Moderator
  • DX Legend
  • North East Florida
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: March 20, 2018, 1017 UTC »
Sorry to hear this; hope his recovery is successful.
Indoors: WR-G33DDC & TT RX-340_DX Eng. 4-Square Array / Outdoors: Belka-DX_Whip / Poolside: SMC HF-150_MMD-40 (D.O.G.) / Off Air/Studio Recordings

Offline Pigmeat

• Marconi Class DXer
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: March 22, 2018, 1006 UTC »
Holy crap. This is like getting a board in the face. I'm stunned.

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #8 on: March 22, 2018, 1750 UTC »
Here is the latest update on John Cruzan’s condition.

Latest news from Jim a few minutes ago...
Update on John Cruzan. John is at Landmark Hospital in Joplin room OB1. His family would love for friends to come and visit him. He is still unconscious but please tell him who you are and just talk to him. We believe he's still in there and can hear us. We are not giving up. You have to sign in either at the nurse's desk or reception area when you arrive and John's mom will also have a sign in sheet in his room. The family would like to know who comes to visit him. Please continue to pray. Thank you.

Offline Andrew Yoder

• DX Legend
    • View Profile
    • Hobby Broadcasting Blog
    • Email
« Reply #9 on: March 22, 2018, 1848 UTC »
Thanks for posting these regular updates. Really appreciate it
Please QSL to: POB 109, BRS, PA 17214
Hobby Broadcasting Blog: http://hobbybroadcasting.blogspot.com/
Drake R8, AOR AR-7030, R-390A, R-388, SX-28A, Philco 44 + some others    Horizontal loops & 1/2-wave inverted V

Offline MDK2

• Marconi Class DXer
  • Denver, CO
    • View Profile
    • My radio reception videos
« Reply #10 on: March 22, 2018, 2343 UTC »
I don't know the man, but I hope he makes a full recovery. Thanks for sharing these updates, Joe.
Denver, CO.
SDRPlay RSPdx & RSP2pro, Airspy Discovery HF+, Icom IC-7100, Grundig Satellit 750, Realistic DX-300, Tecsun PL-600.
MLA-30 active loop, G5RV dipole.
eQSLs appreciated wickerjennie at gmail

Offline blw

• DXing Phenomena
    • View Profile
    • Email
« Reply #11 on: March 28, 2018, 2253 UTC »
I just heard. I saw John last at the same 1997 Winterfest that Joe Flips mentioned. Same with Kirk. I heard about Kirk's passing about a year after it happened. Prayers for ya, John.

Greets to Andy and JTA. Andy, I'm the guy in Alabama who chased down that pirate 1.620 preacher with you. Where's my stamps, JTA? 8^)

John's a bit younger than me. He a couple of great kids. Thanks for keeping us updated Joe. This is hard to believe.
« Last Edit: March 29, 2018, 0313 UTC by blw »
All logs made from my own SDRs, boatanchors, and antennas
QTH: vicinity of Auburn, Alabama

please eQSL to: slowrollsandloops@gmail.com (thank you)

JoeFLIPS

« Reply #12 on: March 31, 2018, 0330 UTC »
The latest update I just heard is that JC is still in a coma and on a ventilator. Sending prayers for a better outcome on this sad situation.

HFUnderground T-Shirt
HFUnderground Garden Flag
by MitchellTimeDesigns